Coral Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BradD_AP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all..I have a 50 gallon reef, with a 6 lamp t5 fixture, water parameters doing great, and I am doing a weekly 10% water change. I have a small clown, green chromis, six line wrasse, and a firefish goby. My inverts (condy anemone and sebae anemone) are doing great, and my stony corals are doing great (torch, pearl bubble, candy cane). However, all of my soft corals are struggling and have been closed up and shriveled for a week...green star polyps, zoa, green eye xenia, and giant xenia. Is there something I need to look for or change that is specifically targeting the soft corals?

Thank you all!

BradD_AP said:
Hello all..I have a 50 gallon reef, with a 6 lamp t5 fixture, water parameters doing great, and I am doing a weekly 10% water change. I have a small clown, green chromis, six line wrasse, and a firefish goby. My inverts (condy anemone and sebae anemone) are doing great, and my stony corals are doing great (torch, pearl bubble, candy cane). However, all of my soft corals are struggling and have been closed up and shriveled for a week...green star polyps, zoa, green eye xenia, and giant xenia. Is there something I need to look for or change that is specifically targeting the soft corals?

Thank you all!

How much light are they getting? Those are very low light corals. If placed anywhere other than the sand bed with that lighting then that might be one reason why. Also what are your nitrates at? These corals also prefer lightly dirty water of about 5-10ppm. And also low flow.

Possibly the lighting and pristine water quality could be the problem for them specifically. Got any pics of them? Hard to say much else at this point.

Here are some pictures I have had them in the middle of the tank for about 3 months....

image-1098379563.jpg

image-2559070181.jpg

image-1546675909.jpg

I have recently rearranged the room they may be getting more sunlight now. Could that be a problem...and according to the API test kit nitrates are at 0

BradD_AP said:
Here are some pictures I have had them in the middle of the tank for about 3 months....

I have recently rearranged the room they may be getting more sunlight now. Could that be a problem...and according to the API test kit nitrates are at 0

They could be getting too much. Also it looks like the 2 may be affected by algae.

Schism said:
They could be getting too much. Also it looks like the 2 may be affected by algae.

I doubt its light i have starpolyps growing higher than some of my acros does seam strange tho

Not sure I agree with the 5-10 ppm nitrates. My nitrates are 0 ppm and my star polyps and zoas are thriving.

SeanMonster said:
Not sure I agree with the 5-10 ppm nitrates. My nitrates are 0 ppm and my star polyps and zoas are thriving.

Some pristine tanks cannont support these corals

EDIT: Or should I say sometimes they will not do well in pristine tanks. Since these corals were moved recently its possible they do not like there new position. With an 8 bulb T5 I probably would not keep these half way up.

Last edited:
Schism said:
Some pristine tanks cannont support these corals

EDIT: Or should I say sometimes they will not do will in pristine tanks. Since these corals were moved recently its possible they do not like there new position. With an 8 bulb T5 I probably would not keep these half way up.

I should clarify that I only have a 4 bulb T5 Tek fixture. Was only speaking to my experience so far.

SeanMonster said:
I should clarify that I only have a 4 bulb T5 Tek fixture. Was only speaking to my experience so far.

Seems i misread, OP has 6 bulb not 8.....i read too fast sometimes lol

Back
Top Bottom