Coral Help PLEASE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongeynip

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok guys, i have got 2 corals that have been doin good for a week now. Before, i asked if 2 week water changes would replinish trace elements, and I got a resounding yes. But my lfs told me that i needed to but 4 types of different bottles of goo to add weekly and it would cost about $80 for these, and that water changes dont do anything. Is this true?

Also, i am worried about my star polyp. The zoos are open all day, but the stars only open full every 3 days (when I feed), but since im new at this, i was worried when they didnt open one feeding day (except for a small few). My water parameters are all fine, except i dont no about these trace elements because i cant test for them (except for calcium). What should i do.
P.S. I cnat respond until tommorow, so i dont think ill be able to answer any counter questions.

Thanx again
-Trent

LFS just wants you to buy product. The corals you have do not need any special additives. Water changes do indeed replenish trace elements.

Give the GSP some time. It will be a weed eventually :)

I agree. When you do water changes, your salt is replenishing lost trace elements.
I also agree with ellisz about the gsp's. Give 'em some time.

Agreed...the LFS wants your money...in large chunks. Keep water quality up and, 6 months from now, you'll be asking "How do I stop these darn GSP's from growing so fast?"

also, dont worry about calcium for your corals. it is an important part of any reef system but water changes will keep it at a good level for your types of coral

steve r

Ya just gotta love the LFS, Don't ya? It is this type of mis-information that makes stores loose their credibility. If they are choosing $$$ over properly educating you, you need to find a new LFS. Sounds like they are just trying to take advantage of you. Give your corals some time. i am sure they will do just fine.

And do you notice how when someone asks you something at the LFS, the LFS folks get that look? The one where they're not looking directly at you, but it's obvious they're worried about what you're saying?

Without getting them too peeved, I do kick out of doing that. 8)

Back
Top Bottom