Coral ID/is it dying?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obscurereef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got this coral on Saturday..I think it's some sort of pagoda, but it looks like it might be bleaching and I haven't seen polyps out..

I've never had a type of coral like this, but I can tell there is something wrong with it :(. It's on the sand bed..I don't think the lighting is the prob. b/c some mushrooms are doing fine and they are a couple inches higher than this coral.

All I've seen on it are these 2 tiny fan like creatures that open and close their fans, definitely not any type of feather duster...Could these "worm" things eat through the coral and inhibit it? Don't know what to think of this...

The coral next to it in this bad quality pic is a hollywood stunner chalice(?) and it has an injury I think?

Parameters: salinity-1.025, ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate <5 pH 8.2 phosphate .25 calcium/alk are on the low side, but still qualify as all right. All the other corals seem to be doing fine, including other chalices and sps.

Thanks so much for reading and any input would help and be appreciated greatly!

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - obscurereef's Album: My 70 Gallon Reef Aquarium - Picture

Looks kind of like this, but all yellowish green
A209 Neon Yellow Green Polyps Pagoda

I can't see the pic...... The fan like things could be the polyps. Maybe move it up a little. Pagodas need more light than mushrooms.

Sorry you can't see it...The fans are like tiny thin black fingers opening/closing. Each are coming from a separate small black whole so they are not polyps. I know that pagodas need more light than mushrooms and I was just photo acclimating them to my light b/c the coral is new. It was at the bottom of a 24" tank with lower lighting and it seems like it's bleaching so I think I'll move it to a slightly shaded area and see how it does...Do they need established tanks?..the polyps should be visible if the coral is healthy right?

It says high flow and med light so I would actually move it up..???? It may not be getting enough light. Corals can bleach because of that too.

It says.."These Pavona Corals prefer a low to moderate light level." And yeah I misread it does say high flow, but currently it is in a high flow area, it just looks like it's turning white and the color is fading.

Back
Top Bottom