Coral info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grease

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tanks been up n running for about 10 months. So far I only have fowlr. I want to start looking into getting some corals. I want to read up on everything before I buy. So basically what is some important, need to know basic info about having corals? Also what r some good starter corals?

You are going to need good lighting, filtration, and nice tank mates. What's in your tank and what equipment do you have?

I have a 45g. Filtration is hob reef octopus BH 2000, TLF phosban reactor, a basic bio filter with a chem pure bag. Fishes r one coral beauty angel, two ocellaris clownfish n 3 cardinal fish.

That angel might give you some issues with eating corals. :-( They are not considered 100% reef safe....

It depends on the fish IMO, I have a dwarf flame angel and he is fine with me open Brain coral and Kenya tree I've never seen him pick at anything.

My flame has always been safe with my corals, same with my coral beauty. Most of the other dwarf angles are not reef safe.

I have a potters angel and he hasn't nipped at anything either.

So in your case just get a cheap coral frag and see if he nips at it and observe.

I've heard they can suddenly turn and start nipping your corals after years of being "reef safe". I love my corals and wouldn't risk putting one in myself. I've also heard the coral beauties like brain coral. Perhaps try a mushroom coral?

I think it tends to be a case by case thing. My angels are over 10 years old and still don't pick on the coral. I have a black tail that likes to nip, but doesn't do any lasting damage. If you have a good feeding regime, I think they are less likely to pick. Some angels, like lemon peel angels, can really be a nightmare on coral. Everybody has their own story, so it's a chance. I have seen many people put trigger fish in their reef tanks, something I wouldn't tend to do, but they have found them to be reef safe in their situations.

I wanted to start off with a frag too. Simply bc t is my first coral n something does goes I would feel bad but not as bad if it wasnt a frag

What frags would be a good starter for me?

Frogspawn. Hammer. Pulsing Xenia. Leather corals. Zoanthids. mushrooms. All very easy care corals.

Cool. I'll check them out. Is there some basic info that I need to know before I get some?

Just search it up on live aquaria it will give the basics

Back
Top Bottom