coral lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flame82

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have seen markings for corals as low, medium, and high lighting. however that doesnt tell me alot. is there somewhere i can see based on watts per gallon for the coral and what types of light is better such as compact fluresent or metal halliade exc. ???

High light corals tend to like MH. Med light corals do ok high in a PC tank. Low light corals will tolerate anything.

I think WPG is a bad myth. But that's just my own personal opinion. I think the true test is the par at a given depth based on the type and wattage of the lamps. Unfortunately that doesn't lend itself to a convenient formula.

I think WPG is a bad myth
I agree. It also depends on the type of lighting. Some lighting (such as MH) penetrates the water better then others (like CF). This is why a 150watts of MH seems brighter then 150watts of CF. If you are looking to add a few corals to your tank, decide what you want and build your lighting needs around them. CF will do just fine for most soft corals, zoos, polyps, LPS, some SPS and even some anemones. If you plan on keeping higher light SPS corals, clams and anemones you should consider MH. The down side to MH lighting is it's cost, possible increase in algea production, possible increase in tank temp and increase in electric bill.

Back
Top Bottom