Coral limit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EELectric

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know if you looked at "my info" that I am not there yet, but I was wondering if there was a coral limit or if you could just add coral till you ran out of space. TIA

there is no bio load for corals so you can add what you want.. The key is getting coral that when they grow they will get along and not sting each other and start chemical warfair in the tank.
Not all coral will get along...

Concur, space and compatibility )between corals and other inhabitants) are really the only issue. Also make sure they can get the appropriate lighting such as placing lower ligh corals toward the bottom and ones that demand more in center of top 1/3 of tank.

Also make sure you know what you are getting and what it will do. The small frag of something you aquire may quickly take over the tank and snuff out other corals if provided the right conditions.

HTH,

afilter is right on here. Just make sure you know your corals before you buy them. Realize that some LPS have sweepers that extend out at night, sometimes 6 inches or more to kill others. Also, a lot of leathers give off toxins that will kill other corals placed too close to them, I use carbon on my reef tank with softies for this reason. You really have to do the reasearch, but if done right, you can really cram them into a tank.

A good rule of thumb is to not place LPS within 6 inches of any other coral. Same for the leathers that give off toxins. SPS compete with each other mainly by trying to out grow each other, and I don't have but one myself but I hear you can really stuff a lot of them into a tank when they are small. Too bad they demand high $$ lights and cost a ton for the nice ones.

Back
Top Bottom