Coral Nipper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just a quick question...anyone ever have problems with a Flame Angel nipping at corals?

I keep watching mine swim around and keeps nipping at my xenia, zoos, pretty much everything.

Does this mean I need to get rid of him? Will he damage them or is it just little nips?

I'm wondering if thats what happened to those zoo polyps I seem to have lost.

I lost two corals because of a flame angels. They will actually eat the coral as it ate the fleshy part of a hammer coral and brain coral. It is best to get rid of the flame angel. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

wow...another one bites the dust

Think I sould try to get a mate for my maroon clown...or is it too late now that he is established

I would not say too late. If you are going to try to make them a mated pair I would either get the new one alot smaller or alot bigger than the one you have in their now. DO NOT make them the same size.

OK...I went to LFS...Showed him the Flame and asked if he would swap for another gold striped maroon. His eyes lit up, "SURE"...(Gold Striped Maroon $29.99 / Flame Angel $59.99). At least he gave me the same warning about the size. I figured he was going to just give me anything. So I looked around and he didnt have anything bigger. But, I found one that was about 1/2 the size of the one I have now. So, I brought him to the office, and he's being dripped as we speak. I just hope they get along...I would hate for him to be....dead...in the morning.

8:45pm - Things dont seem to be going well.

The established GSM Clown is maybe even bigger than 2x's the size of the new GSM clown.

Well, Big guy caught glimpse of little guy and attacked it big time. Little guy's rear dorsal fin is shredded. I feel so bad!! :oops:

Little guy got away and is hiding...Big guy went back to his BTA to gloat.

I don't know what to do now......

Sorry to hear it's not going well. I had the same question a couple of weeks ago and have not purchased a new one yet. My current GSM is small and I was going to buy a larger one. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Good luck. Hopefully they will settle any quarrels soon and cease to be a problem. I would not worry yet though, and as long as the fish are still healthy, they should stop fighting soon (hopefully!)

OK...It's 12:30pm EST and little GSM is still alive!! ;)

Now I see Big GSM kind of swim around, scoping the little guy out. Not ambush attacking like last night.

So, maybe we have a snowballs chance in h-e-double hockey sticks for a mated pair?

Almost 4:00pm and I just saw Big GSM attacking Little GSM again...not as fierce and shorter in duration.

Well..Little GSM is still hanging in there. Big GSM hunts him down and pummels him every now and then. So, I am assuming that this is the Big GSM's way of exerting it's dominance and will give up eventually? Then the mating begins?

Back
Top Bottom