Coral not liking the light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I have a coral that I'm not sure what it is, think its some type of polyup.

When the light are out or when they 1st turn on it looks really nice but once the lights are on for a couple of hours it looks not so good.

Any advice appreciated. Currently its on the bottom in direct light.

It looks sort of like a goniopora. Not sure though. If it is a goniopora it probably needs stronger light. (looks bleached) Maybe someone else will know for sure what it is.

Looks like a gonipora. It is a LPS coral and has a very dismal survival rate in the home aquarium. It already looks like it has started to nacrous from the bottom up. This is very common with this type of coral. Can you tell us what how long you have had it, how old the tank is, the water parameters and the type of lighting you currently have?

Yeah I had one they are a very beautiful coral. I know a couple people who have housed them with no success. I had mine for about a year but a Clown was hosting in it and from where it was swimming through it came down with brown jelly. Ive seen blue, green, and red but never seen a white one. What type of lighting do you have? How many watts? Whats your water temp? Good luck with this coral as I didnt.

I have 2 HQI Metal Halides and SunPaq Dual Actinics. Current outer orbit hood.

temp is around 78. Water levels are good. Everything else in the tank is thriving.

When the lights are out its all opened up and looks great but once the lights are on it closes up. Toward the end of the light cycle it starts to open up.

I'm starting to think its the fish swimming by it makes it go back into its holes.

If its high light there are plenty pf places to move it, but when I had it higher it was always closed.

goniopora

I did a search on goniopora and this sure looks like it.
Did not find one white one, but most everything I read says that they don't do real well in the home aquarium.

LFS should warn people before selling corals that are difficult to keep.

I'm going to put it up higher in a better flow area and hope for the best.

Thanks for the help.

Re: goniopora

nccmike said:
I'm going to put it up higher in a better flow area and hope for the best.
A better flow area mabye (not too strong) but I would not place it higher. More light will not help a bleached animal, it will often just make it worse. What is does need is food. Without the zooxanthellae in it's tissues it lack the necessary nutrition for it's basic needs. Have a read on this article to see if it gives you some insight.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/10/aafeature2/view

Cheers
Steve

Re: goniopora

nccmike said:
LFS should warn people before selling corals that are difficult to keep.

That will never happen, they are there to strictly make money and will sell anything to anyone most of the time. Your searching out the requirements after the purchase was a good idea but before hand would have been even better.

Best of luck with it.

thanks, an excellent article.

I've placed it in a increased flow area, just off the sand. Not too strong but better flow than it had before.

Going to try some Cyclop-eeze juice. Hoping my LFS has it. Also going to educate him on that coral and how he should not sell it to people without making sure they have the setup to handle it.

Some corals should just be left in the ocean.

Well, I'm probably have false hope but check out the pic of the coral after moving to a new spot with better flow and a nice shot of Cyclop-eeze.

Back
Top Bottom