Coral open finally but not reproducing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hesselrode

Aquarium Advice Activist
After hurricane Isaac, I lost most of my livestock, but for more corals and fish. The zoos and buttons didn't stay open. They shut for a few months and update my lights. Started opening and have been opening for about 2-3 months now, but haven't been spreading. I have one colony growing leaps and bounds but have three colonies of 3-4 polyps not spreading at all. Any advice?

My water specs are where they need to be and been using purple up also. It seems to have what corals need also so I figured that would be an okay supplement.

Don't supplement unless you are testing for it. Products like purple up aren't necessary, and end up throwing alk and iodine way out of whack. Water changes are all you need. This might be why your zoas aren't spreading, as soft corals dot require calcium and alk to reproduce like hard corals. Proper lighting, flow, and parameters will do the trick. I've had zoas on both sides of my tank, where one spread and the other didn't. Could be a simple flow issue. I would still cut out the purple up.

Coraline algae is like pulsing xenia for me. I wanted both when I started and now I want to get rid of both....LOL!

That's funny. I like the rock to be purple, but if yoi want that then everything will be purple.

Target feeding won't help zoas or button polyps. It's most likely flow. Just move them and remember that they don't have to spread as fast as your other zoas.

That makes sense. The one growing has some flo on it, the others don't have so much.

Back
Top Bottom