coral origin question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am ordering another sun coral (my other one is doing great so I want another) and I am curious as to the different origins of the sun coral. I've found several nice looking colonies but I'm unsure of which area to go with. They have them from -- Eastern Asia, Central Pacific, and Australia. I'm not seeing any differences in the corals. Am I missing something?

TIA!

That is a good question. I'm not sure either, I would think that the collection methods and cost will vary from one area to the next. Also the health of the coral may be different from area to area.

Maybe someone else will have actual info.

different areas sometimes even result in different colors and other differences in the species... for example i was looking into flame angels a while back and the ones from christmas island are the most prized because of the special colorations.

dont know about sun corals though, i did a quick google but didn't find anything useful

Years ago there was a hardiness theory based on region, but has been considered false over the years not taking "foot traffic" into account. When in doubt, collectors tend to take greater care in handling of livestock from secluded or low "foot traffic" areas. Even though Australia does receive quite a bit of collection, their is the "prestige" factor to consider along with known coloration brilliance.

Thanks Innovator----I can't see any difference in the corals (ie brightness etc) and I haven't really been able to find much, if any, detailed info on this.

Thanks folks!

Back
Top Bottom