Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Coral placement

I just purchased this--

6x6 Showpiece Bright Red with Pink lines Lobophyllia: Extreme Corals

I called the company for additional info (the fellow that answered was very nice) and was told that because of the coloring of this brain coral (red) it's lighting needs would not be as great as say a green brain. Does that sound correct? As usual I found a lot of info....each site saying something different about the lighting needs of this coral.

I have a spot picked out for this coral but I just want to make sure I'm placing it correctly.

AND this is the LAST coral I'm buying for a while......(at least for a week or so)....my husband threated to take my picture in to the lfs's in the area to ban me

Old 05-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Most red pigmented corals seem to appreciate indirect or even shaded areas. Placement should be within the liverock with moderate flow and although they can possess abundant feeding tentacles they are more likely to be injured by adjacent corals than the aggressor.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I hope you purchased another $30 worth of stuff for the free shipping! My red/green lobo seems to prefer the sandbed. As with most corals, they can tolerate a large variety of placements but it may take some trial and error to find a spot it is happy with.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando View Post
Well I hope you purchased another $30 worth of stuff for the free shipping!
HA! That wasn't a problem.....

I was concerned that if I placed the brain on my sandbed it might not get enough light. My tank is 22" deep and I have T5-HO lighting.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't have any direct experience with those, but I've heard the majority of advice given to be the same that Innovator gave - red pigmented LPS don't need a lot of light, and in fact they prefer less. My red/green open brain on my sand bed seems to agree with that opinion.

That's a beautiful piece, by the way. Giving melosu a run for his money, eh?? And yeah... you have been on quite the spending spree lately, haven't you! (Not counting the lights that kicked it all off!) I'll let you know when I find a 12-step program for us all!
Old 05-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
I don't have any direct experience with those, but I've heard the majority of advice given to be the same that Innovator gave - red pigmented LPS don't need a lot of light, and in fact they prefer less. My red/green open brain on my sand bed seems to agree with that opinion.
ok, I feel more comfortable placing it on the sand bed then. Thank you for your input.

Quote:
That's a beautiful piece, by the way. Giving melosu a run for his money, eh?? And yeah... you have been on quite the spending spree lately, haven't you! (Not counting the lights that kicked it all off!) I'll let you know when I find a 12-step program for us all!
Well.....since I can't get him to give his purple brain up (or either of his linkia's) I figured I'd better get one.

Oh! and since we're talking about it.....YOU'RE not innocent in this either!! You hooked me on that barrier reef store!! :p
Old 05-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Giving melosu a run for his money, eh??
I see that Kurt. Trying to upstage my purple brain. LOL. That`s a very nice looking coral Msbeanctr. I would put it on the sand and you`ll be OK IMO.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Just fyi, I mentioned rockwork because they tend to reside on reef slopes; however, if you do place in the substrate make sure adequate water movement clears the tissues of sand settlement.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
Just fyi, I mentioned rockwork because they tend to reside on reef slopes; however, if you do place in the substrate make sure adequate water movement clears the tissues of sand settlement.
I do have a good place in the rockwork too. But I guess I figured it was taboo to place them on the rock....ooops, my mistake.

Thank you!
Old 05-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

That is another beautiful coral you got. You don't mess with frags much do you :p

I better get the rest of those Acan frags before you're allowed back on eBay

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« reef help | Sump. »