Coral placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just purchased this--

6x6 Showpiece Bright Red with Pink lines Lobophyllia: Extreme Corals

I called the company for additional info (the fellow that answered was very nice) and was told that because of the coloring of this brain coral (red) it's lighting needs would not be as great as say a green brain. Does that sound correct? As usual I found a lot of info....each site saying something different about the lighting needs of this coral.

I have a spot picked out for this coral but I just want to make sure I'm placing it correctly.

AND this is the LAST coral I'm buying for a while......(at least for a week or so)....my husband threated to take my picture in to the lfs's in the area to ban me :evil:

Most red pigmented corals seem to appreciate indirect or even shaded areas. Placement should be within the liverock with moderate flow and although they can possess abundant feeding tentacles they are more likely to be injured by adjacent corals than the aggressor.

Well I hope you purchased another $30 worth of stuff for the free shipping! My red/green lobo seems to prefer the sandbed. As with most corals, they can tolerate a large variety of placements but it may take some trial and error to find a spot it is happy with.

Well I hope you purchased another $30 worth of stuff for the free shipping!

HA! That wasn't a problem.....

I was concerned that if I placed the brain on my sandbed it might not get enough light. My tank is 22" deep and I have T5-HO lighting.

I don't have any direct experience with those, but I've heard the majority of advice given to be the same that Innovator gave - red pigmented LPS don't need a lot of light, and in fact they prefer less. My red/green open brain on my sand bed seems to agree with that opinion.

That's a beautiful piece, by the way. Giving melosu a run for his money, eh?? And yeah... you have been on quite the spending spree lately, haven't you! (Not counting the lights that kicked it all off!) I'll let you know when I find a 12-step program for us all!

I don't have any direct experience with those, but I've heard the majority of advice given to be the same that Innovator gave - red pigmented LPS don't need a lot of light, and in fact they prefer less. My red/green open brain on my sand bed seems to agree with that opinion.

ok, I feel more comfortable placing it on the sand bed then. Thank you for your input.

That's a beautiful piece, by the way. Giving melosu a run for his money, eh?? And yeah... you have been on quite the spending spree lately, haven't you! (Not counting the lights that kicked it all off!) I'll let you know when I find a 12-step program for us all!

Well.....since I can't get him to give his purple brain up (or either of his linkia's) I figured I'd better get one.

Oh! and since we're talking about it.....YOU'RE not innocent in this either!! You hooked me on that barrier reef store!! :p

Just fyi, I mentioned rockwork because they tend to reside on reef slopes; however, if you do place in the substrate make sure adequate water movement clears the tissues of sand settlement.

Just fyi, I mentioned rockwork because they tend to reside on reef slopes; however, if you do place in the substrate make sure adequate water movement clears the tissues of sand settlement.

I do have a good place in the rockwork too. But I guess I figured it was taboo to place them on the rock....ooops, my mistake.

Thank you!

That is another beautiful coral you got. You don't mess with frags much do you :p

I better get the rest of those Acan frags before you're allowed back on eBay :lol:

Frags?? Yes! They're ALL good. My family says that "the one with the most corals in the end wins and mom is going to win"......weiner kids!! They are NOT helping my case.

The only bad thing is I have room for one more large coral and I can't decide what to go with....take mercy on me and don't suggest ANYTHING!!

LOL!!

Back
Top Bottom