Coral Placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbannie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone! Quick question, If I get 2 corals that are the same, say Torch, at different times, possibly from different places, can I still put them next to each other?
Ok I lied, here's another..... Can soft corals of different species go next to each other? Or should everything have their own space?
Thanks!!

It depends if they will touch or not. Also depends if they sting. What kind of corals are you looking at getting?

I personally try to give my corals a bit of space between one another.

well, my lfs is trying to get me a torch coral with no luck so far. I found one on the internet, but I'm thinking if I wind up with both I would put them in the same spot.
As for the soft corals, I have a kenya tree pretty close to some shrooms....is that ok? also a nepthea is close by. None of them are touching just close

like species can be right next to each other. different species of LPS will kill each other over territory, very quickly.

some soft corals might not like touching each other. you will know by observing them, and you'll have enough time to move them if necessary.

when i add corals i like to give space as well, but thats because i usually only buy frags so i compensate for growing room. but as long as you arent seeing one coral or another shrinking or looking like its being bothered or bullied by one, you should be fine.

as for the torch, definitely give it space, they will decimate surrounding corals, and if you had two and put them close together, dont be surprised if you possibly lose one. i say try it, but if you see them not getting along, move them.

Will LPS kill Soft corals if too close?

Like many of the answers already, the answer is a big, resounding... maybe. It really depends on the corals, and even then, it's not consistent.

For example... I have a TON of little blue snowflake polyps in my tank (sansibia/anthelia) which are soft corals. I have a Lobophyllia (open brain) coral right next to a patch. The Sansibia is touching the Lobo all over the place, but *most* of the time, the Lobo doesn't care. But occasionally, the Lobo sends out mesentary filaments (serious warfare... not just the normal tentacles) and just totally wipes out a patch of the Sansibia that is near it. Then everyone goes back to their happy selves and the Sansibia lives peacefully next to the Lobo. Go figure.

I've also got a Platygyra (maze brain) that is next to some plain purple Mushrooms. The Platygyra will send out some impressive sweepers at times, which you'd think would be pretty potent. But if a Mushroom even touches the edge of the Platygyra colony, the Platygyra will start to recede in that spot within a day. No warefare, no sweepers, just instant death. No problem though... I just remove the mushroom and within a week the Platygyra has recovered and continues it's slow expansion to take over its rock!

So there are not many "for sures" when it comes to what will win. But I agree with others... Torch corals will normally ALWAYS win, so don't make the mistake I made and locate the torch in the middle of your tank. It just makes it easier to reach everything and cause problems.

Like when I added my big frog spawn colony my rose BTA did not open as big as normal, so I moved him about 6 inches further away than he already was and within a day or two he was back to full size. You will know by keeping an eye on them.

btw, start all corals on the sand bed, and gradually move them up to their positions to acclimate them to the new lighting.

Back
Top Bottom