Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2004, 11:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to swiftwing7
coral placements

I am planning on keeping as many differnt types of corals from LPS to SPS and anenomes and did not want to have to keep a tank with jsut one type. So since i'm jsut starting out is there a good way to set up my live rock so I will eb able to have all the different types but seperated. If i put SPS on one peak and LPS on another would they harm each other. How far away to i have to put the different types?

Thanks
Swift

Old 08-10-2004, 12:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
I'd keep em as far away as possible really. Things grow big quick.

Old 08-10-2004, 10:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Placement depends on the coral being placed. Some corals prefer high currents some prefer almost no current and there's always the in between. Lighting will also play an important part in placing...depending on the lighting of your tank and the needs of the corals, you will have to place some high near the lights and others may need to be shaded.
Also, research how the coral you want defends itself or stakes out territory. Aggressive corals will have nematocysts that can really pack a sting and kill other corals if placed too close. Some LPS corals can send out long sweeper tentacles that can damage and kill other corals.
If you don't already have it, pick up a copy of Eric Borneman's book "Aquarium Corals" and try to research the needs of every coral you want and then decide whether its right for your tank and where it will fit in best in your system. HTH
Old 08-10-2004, 11:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think you should probably filter with carbon as well to combat the chemical warfare of the corals.
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

You gonna do just coral, or fish too? If fish too, may wanna wait until the tank matures a bit before adding anenomes.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 05:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to swiftwing7
yes i will have fish also, i knew i had to wait for the anenomes nad others jsut wnated to start thinking about placement now. thanks for the help

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com