coral placements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swiftwing7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am planning on keeping as many differnt types of corals from LPS to SPS and anenomes and did not want to have to keep a tank with jsut one type. So since i'm jsut starting out is there a good way to set up my live rock so I will eb able to have all the different types but seperated. If i put SPS on one peak and LPS on another would they harm each other. How far away to i have to put the different types?

Thanks
Swift

Placement depends on the coral being placed. Some corals prefer high currents some prefer almost no current and there's always the in between. Lighting will also play an important part in placing...depending on the lighting of your tank and the needs of the corals, you will have to place some high near the lights and others may need to be shaded.
Also, research how the coral you want defends itself or stakes out territory. Aggressive corals will have nematocysts that can really pack a sting and kill other corals if placed too close. Some LPS corals can send out long sweeper tentacles that can damage and kill other corals.
If you don't already have it, pick up a copy of Eric Borneman's book "Aquarium Corals" and try to research the needs of every coral you want and then decide whether its right for your tank and where it will fit in best in your system. HTH :D

yes i will have fish also, i knew i had to wait for the anenomes nad others jsut wnated to start thinking about placement now. thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom