Coral Polyps and ICH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just wondering can Corals Carry ICH? or Even Zoanthias Polyps Carry ICH?

The polyps themselves... no.

Ich can survive on fish, and in the water column for a while in search of fish. They can't survive off of coral. So, in theory, there could be ich in any water that may be on a coral or any inverts that come in to your tank.

So are you suppose to QT Corals before putting them into your main tank? If so are you able to treat ICH while Corals are in the Tank?

I'm more worried about the water that comes with the corals than the corals themselves. I get rid of the incoming water and make sure to never add it to my tank.

Its a good idea.

Ummm... depends on what you're saying it's a good idea about. There is absolutely no reason to treat coral for ich, and if you did it'd kill them.

If you're talking about quarantining corals, it all depends on your setup. If you have a QT with lighting that will support them, then it's probably a good idea. But most folks I know of, don't. I don't. I figure the risk of bringing in pathogens/parasites with what little water is transferred is minimal. If you're doing a proper drip acclimation, that LFS water is pretty darn diluted by the end anyway. And a good shaking to get off any excess gets rid of even more.

In general I do not QT corals either, but specific ones that I know come with a % of problems may receive a dip or full examination in a QT for an extended period of time before introducing into the tank. It's all about rolling the dice and percentages :)

...but specific ones that I know come with a % of problems may receive a dip or full examination in a QT...

Good point. I deal mostly with LPS from known suppliers, so the really nasty bugs don't really effect me. Worst thing I normally have to deal with is an occassional flatworm. But when you start getting into some of the species of SPS, or swapping frags between other unknown hobbiests, you start having to deal with some nasty coral parasites (red bugs, etc) that may be present. If I was heavy into that, my QT idea may be different.

Not really saying that coral have ICH but like you mention it can be shaken off before entering the main tank now since we are talking about a Hitch Hiker that can be a problem later on. I mean how would you know if that specific Coral piece is loaded with ICH and you have no clue that it's there. I mean even a Shake like you said take some of it off but what about the rest? Doesn't that casue for concern about having some corals enter in your system that may cause a Huge Ich outbreakl? I am just saying if there is a way to treat your coral in HYPO before puttting them in the Main tank or will that just Kill the coral completely? :)

Hypo will kill the coral. You dont want to do that. I never QT or treat my corals. As the others said the chances of ich are very minimal.

I've heard very good things about ReVive, which is a coral "cleaner" that has shown to rid flatworms amongst other "beasties." I wouldn't be too concerned with ich from coral, but if you are worried than place the corals in Quarantine for 30 days as you would fish, but without hyposalinity.

...how would you know if that specific Coral piece is loaded with ICH and you have no clue that it's there. ...

That's just not the way ich is. A piece of coral will not be "loaded" with ich. It doesn't live on coral. And while it does swim around in water, a few drops of water won't be loaded with the parasite. It lives on fish, and the dormant stages live in your sand. Your main concern with ich is when it comes in with fish (not the water, but actually present on the fish).

But as Innovator mentioned, if you're concerned, it won't hurt to QT corals. Just make sure you have adequate lighting on your QT to do so.

Back
Top Bottom