Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2005, 02:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Coral propagation question

I have a fairly large purple/green lybophoton (?). It's a hard coral that looks similar to a huge mushroom. Well, over the past month it looks like it has become 2 separate corals, but still attached to the same skeleton. Some days it doesn't fully expand and I was wondering if I need to step in to do anything?

Will it divide on it's own?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rim00028.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	633  

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to xahx
probably not, alot of coral propagation is done pretty rough. For instance with your coral, it is possible to split it with a saw, say one that is used for cutting marble or stone. these corals are pretty hardy and can take abuse like that, and heal fine! I mean you gotta split it right, its not just gonna come off the rock...

Old 02-06-2005, 11:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks like some form of trachyphyllia (aka brain coral) If you have indeed seen it reproduce then there is no reason to do anything. Propagation is possible from what I have read by using a dremel type tool to cut the skeleton, however, these are prone to infection. A risk I suppose you take with any frag. If you decide to frag it, please post your experience..A lot of advice on line as to how to do it, but I have never ran across any detailed explainations..

GL!
Old 02-06-2005, 11:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good Luck, these are not easy to propagate. I helped a friend try, he insisted, and it was a disaster, the thing is hard a rock! I've propagated softies many times but this was just plain hard. It was basically the same situation, an open brain splitting, but when we were done only one half survived. I think it would have been best to just let it go. The other half thats left still looks plain ugly now.
75 gal planted/cichlid tank
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

trachyphyllia - thx PC. Where'd I get lybophoton?

I would definitely assume just let it go. If it's going to be alright like it is then I'm not gonna touch it. If it's health starts to head south, I may try to frag it.

I appreciate your comments.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 02-07-2005, 03:11 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
When the coral is retracted does it have two distict heads? If so you can split them right down the middle with a dremel for percise cutting or a chizel for less precise. If you use a dremel be sure to keep the blade 'most' so as to cut down on the heat generated. At the same time remember this is an electrical device connected to the wall.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It looks like 2 distinct heads now, FF.

I think I'm going to let it be until it doesn't look happy anymore. I have a dremel tool already, so it's tempting...

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com