coral purchase hows it doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
desided to get a brain coral and a mushroom rock the mushrooms are fully open and are doing well but im wonderin how this brain coral is doing? do i have it placed right ?

10005608ev.jpg

10005617kf.jpg

I believe that these are very hardy and adapt to a range of lighting and circulation conditions. Direct light and calm currents are optimal I believe, but they are described as coral that can do well in "minimally adequate light and water movement" - Eric Borneman.

Can't find it in the book that looks just like yours, but it may be a Lobophyllia hemprichii (lobed brain coral).

Give him time to acclimate. You have him in the right place in the substrate. By the way we like pics of mushrooms too. :D

Were those photos taken at the same time? The second photo it appears to be more inflated. I agree it may just need some time. They are typically pretty hardy.

heh no just different angles does anyone have a picture of how it would look when its fully open?

Here`s mine but they are not the same type

Attachments

• 000_0139_104.jpg
    000_0139_104.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 24
Nice specimen. Looks like it's kinda bleached thou :? Did you get it from a reputable shop and was it under high intensity lighting?

its not bleached my light is so bright that the only angle i could take a picture without alot of glare is what you see( gotta learn to use my digicam better)

here is a pic of my red open brain, I do agree your brain looks a little bleached!

Attachments

• brain_391.jpg
    brain_391.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 21
what setting do you use to take pictures on with your camera? i cant get a nice shot of it because of the glare from my lights

hackteck ... I use Auto setting, no flash ... and a home made tripod (usually a bunch of movies stacked up)! You just have to keep trying until you get the right angle!

Sharkman - usually if corals that are low-mid lighting are placed high up in say Metal Halide lighting it can cause them to bleach out or turn very light in color, sometimes white. They can be cared for meticulously and nursed back to health but from what I have seen and read most of the time they end up dieing.

I have wanted and Open Brain BUT I have read that they do not do well if you have Hermit carbs. It said that the hermit cards can kill an open brain. For the people that have Open brains, what type of clean up crews do you have if you can not have hermint crabs with an Open Brain??

Back
Top Bottom