Coral question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How can I keep my new hammer coral from growing tall and spacing out? I want the polyps to grow larger and the actual coral to grow larger and wider but I don't want the Stoney part to get taller in some places to space out all the polyps... Does anyone know what causes this or does it just vary?

I'm sure it is flow and lighting related. Like a plant that needs more light will grow as tall as it can, a coral will probably grow to ease the strain of flow and find brighter spots.
That being said, predicting such growth is probably very difficult with coral. But I don't really anticipate you having a problem. That Hammer looks fairly mature, so it is *probably* as tall as it will get. Always possible it could grow taller, but assuming all of it's needs are met, I don't think it will.

Alright thanks! I'll make sure it's as happy as can be, this is it from today, seems to have opened up more from the move

If given optimal water conditions it will grow. Mine started out smal and now is as big as a basketball. It`s going to grow believe me.

Before
01010068_500.jpg

Now
IMG_20111123_144555.jpg

melosu58 said:
If given optimal water conditions it will grow. Mine started out smal and now is as big as a basketball. It`s going to grow believe me.

Before

Now

Wow that's beautiful! I'm kinda new to corals, an I was wondering how you got that coral on the right so close to the hammer coral? I thought they had stinging tentacles?

Back
Top Bottom