Coral Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynxpilot

Aquarium Advice Activist
1. What size food would the typical torch LPS coral eat? Are we talking chunks of silversides, large mysis, small brine, plankton, or what?

2. Do SPS corals have visible polyps? I'm wondering how I can monitor the condition of a bottlebrush coral. Is color the guiding factor?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

I dont feed my torch coral anything. It gets all it needs from the lighting and water column. I`ve had it about 4 yrs now.

Typically lps feed on zooplankton so cyclop-eeze, fish/urchin roe, mysis, krill, etc. will help stimulate faster growth responses. Feeding once or twice weekly is usually enough and incorporating a mixture for them is best.

Yes, sps have visible polyps to the naked eye. Usually color can help indicate potential problems along with growth, recession, and polyp extension.

I dont feed my torch coral anything. It gets all it needs from the lighting and water column. I`ve had it about 4 yrs now.

+1 I use phytoplankton once a week and it seems to work well for my torch -- which is the centerpiece of my tank.

Hmmm... I have a feeling the torch may do just as well without the phyto. LPS corals don't really utilize phytoplankton. They may eat it, but they're just spitting it back out later.

Hmmm... I have a feeling the torch may do just as well without the phyto. LPS corals don't really utilize phytoplankton. They may eat it, but they're just spitting it back out later.

Yeah, I should have been more clear. I use phyto in my tank once a week or the other corals and the torch is on his own :king:

Back
Top Bottom