coral securing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mastershake

Aquarium Advice Activist
how do you secure corals and polyp rocks etc in the rockwork, it seems mine are shaky since i have them just kinda resting there, and im afraid something will bump them and theyll fall to the bottom or soemthing, any suggestions?

I don't know but am interested in hearing the answer. A lot of my corals are mounted to sizeable rocks, but the smaller ones are frequently knocked off onto the sand. I've almost lost a couple of frags because it took me a day to find them. They've all managed to recover so far though.

I think something about crazy glue....... I've asked this same question a lot and that's the answer i got " blah blah blah crazy glue"

I've got issues with putting chemicals in a tank full of corals and fish that I can't even injest though.

you can check out GARF they sell some kind of reef glue that is apparently reef safe seeing as how they use it on all of there reefs..... the website is www.garf.org.

HTH

A lot of corals come attatched to a chunk of LR. I do not really secure my corals to anyting. I just set the rock in a spot that is stable.

just put a rubberband arround the coral
and the lr , wait until the coral attaches itself then take the rubberband off

just put a rubberband arround the coral
and the lr , wait until the coral attaches itself then take the rubberband off
I think mastershake is asking about how to secure a rock that already has corals/polyps on it to the rest of the rockwork, not how to attatch polyps themselves to rock.

I don't have as hard a time with corals as I do with frags though. The frag rocks are usually pretty small and enough for a snail or hermit to push off a ledge. It has happened to me quite a bit. Most everything seems stable now though so hopefully I won't lose anything else! I'd like to be able to use fun tack (lol... or the Aquarium equivilent) because while my frags are small they're being moved around the tank quite a bit trying to figure out where they are going to make the best effect and I'd like not to cement them to my rockwork in fear of needing to rearrange!

Aquastick which is a putty epoxy or any aquarium suitable epoxy would work. You break off a piece of the the aquastick and roll it around, thereby mixing the 2 part of it together. Put a piece on the frag rock and press against the rock you want it on. Check Drs. Foster and Smith or other retailers.

And more importantly (to me) is does it come off easily?

You knead it out of water and can place it on the rock under water. because it's a putty it sticks to the rocks. It's pliable for a while but hardens in few hours. Make sure of your placement or have a chisel ready. :wink:

I use just enough to hold it in place so I can break it off later if needed. :D

Would this epoxy also work with a polyp not attached to anything? I ask this because the polyp is kind of smooth and rubbery.

Back
Top Bottom