Coral Snow, anyone heard of it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I have some. Want it? I was using it religiously every 5 days, feeding my corals. But I started to see way too many brittle stars who like it too. I have since stopped using it and my corals (even the SPS) are growing way better without it. Less brittle stars now too.

I use to spot feed with it. I saw no real noticeable improvements. It breaks down into DOC's really easily, so I stopped using it. I don't have any filter feeders that require it anyway.

Am I confused here? I read this article the other day, and it isn't a "food" like Marine Snow is designed to be, rather an alternative to carbon in home aquaria.

It's clay, that absorbs junk like carbon and is then supposedly absorbed by corals. Don't know much about it besides that.

I don't know much either other than what Jake wrote in the article attached. I am curious though...

Reading the article helped.
It binds organic compounds and then becomes heavy enough for mechanical filtration to grab it, like a skimmer. Might work fine. But as all their products they are $$$$. As he said, it replaces a bit of carbon or GFO, but he didn't mention it costs many times what those cost.

I think that if someone handed me some for free, I'd use it...but I'm not buying it.

In a dire emergency, it might work for a crashed tank. Since it diffuses almost instantly thru the whole tank and probably starts binding DOC's right away, it might be a fast way to save a tank.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom