Coral Split?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarinaClown

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have this umbrella coral and it has two heads. Will it split on its own? Is there anything I should be doing or just leave it alone?

image-3737350081.jpg

It will split on it's own, but if you are in a hurry, you can cut it in half with a pair of scissors.

Hi all!

So four months after the post the coral has not split. It has actually grown a third head. It's getting big for my 40 gallon breeder and I am now contemplating cutting it with scissors. Any advice on method? Thanks.

Take the scissors and cut it like a piece of bread. The polyps will retract and you might feel some slime, but rubber band the cut off piece to a rock and you are done.

Take the scissors and cut it like a piece of bread. The polyps will retract and you might feel some slime, but rubber band the cut off piece to a rock and you are done.

Interesting. Any advice as to how to rubber band? Meaning rubber band goes the "foot" area at bottom or around it in the middle? Thanks

It can go right around the middle if you like. The rubber band is necessary because leathers tend to slime so much that glue doesn't work on them. It's just got to be pressed against something for a few days in order for it to stick to it.

Back
Top Bottom