Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Coral sugestions

My tank is just about ready for coral so im lookin for suggestions on easy to take care of not to expensive corals. I like ones that move around in water flow and lots of color oh btw my tank is 75 gallons with 20 gallon sump/fuge the flow is about 3500 gph and i have a six bulb t5 fixture all suggestions appreciated

Old 09-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well, you have enough light to keep most anything you like so you have no restrictions there. If you like flowy corals I would suggest some LPS ones, such as a torch, frogspawn or duncans. Check out Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums and see what tickles your fancy. Most times these corals are not very expensive and make a great addition to any tank.

For color you can start with mushrooms and zooanthids, they come in every color of the rainbow and can be very very cheap. They are really easy to care for and are hardy in most water conditions. The same is about true for LPS corals, they might be a bit more finicky about water quality but overall they are easy to keep.

That website has soo soo many corals your head will spin with the choices. What i did was figure out what I liked from the site and then I go hunting for it in stores that are local. If worse comes to worst I will order it online but nothing beats actually getting one that you can pick out and see in person.

Good luck!!

Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Don't forget about leathers, either... most are very easy to keep, and offer great tank movement.

You don't list where you're at, but check you're local craigslist ads.... there are people around me who list a lot of frags in the $5 to $20 range for zoas, palys, leathers, and LPS's like hammer, torch & frogspawn.

Another thing to do is try and find a local forum/fish club of people in your area. Many local clubs have frag swaps a few times a year, and I recently picked up about $250 worth of stuff for $50 from a guy tearing down his 125g reef because he had to move out of state.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just got a hammer frag and it is very cool, I can't wait for it to get bigger. I would recommend a hammer or frogspawn.

My tank is mostly green and purple now, does anyone have a suggestion for an easy coral that is another color than the rest of my tank?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3295509053.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	118018

See lots of purple and green, except for my fire fish.
Any good red or orange corals? I am new to this so I'm not looking for anything to difficult or expensive.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Montipora, sun corals, and some zoas.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sun corals are nps. They need to be fed in a regular basis. IMO not easy to keep.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's true I wasn't thinking in those terms. And the Monti is sps, but still doable I think
Old 09-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Or go nps crazy and get some fuzzy carrots and a zeovit reactor. I love fuzzy carrots
Old 09-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Your basic tabling Green/Orange/Purple Monti's are the easiest SPS to keep IMO. Once they get settled, they grow like crazy and are pretty bulletproof.

Some of the other encrusting and ones with crazy names jokers/superman/lakers can be a little harder to keep, but still not bad. Make sure you leave plenty of room for either type to grow.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com