Coral supplements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willyesco

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys just wondering what supplements you guys use or prefer using for coral coloration and growth? I know that it depends on what corals one wants to grow, but just in general. I have yellow polyps some green polyps, some large button looking polyps, green star polyps, and a stump that a xenia left....and shrooms, green stripe, mint blue stripe orange florida ricordea and red mushroom..

I normally don't like to add anything I can't test for but I was losing color in my corals and started adding Seachem Reef Plus and wow they are coming back and look better than they ever have.

You shouldn't have to add any supplements to your tank but new, fresh SW.

Not only in general but especially with those corals you certainly shouldn't have to add anything

I am using microbe lift master supplement that i got from walmart for about 6 dollars, and purple up, but no coraline algae growth as of yet...i was thinking about dosing iodine but dont kjow wich one i mean there are the time release and the reall strong one i forget what its called.

Willyesco said:
I am using microbe lift master supplement that i got from walmart for about 6 dollars, and purple up, but no coraline algae growth as of yet...i was thinking about dosing iodine but dont kjow wich one i mean there are the time release and the reall strong one i forget what its called.

I wouldn't put iodine.. you best for corline growth would to purchace s piece of live rock already full it.. it will spread to your other rocks.. like it was already stated don't put anything you can't test for. You salt should already have trace amount in there.

I agree, the salt mix has it all, except for additional calcium, I try not to use anything additional. I did try the Reef Plus and it did improve the overall look of my coral. As it is mostly vitamins and amino acids, it seems like a pretty good bet.

I also agree that PWC`s will provide all the supplementation you need. Some salt mixes might not have enough calcium and then need calcium supplements. What salt mix are you using?

Your coraline algae will only grow in the presence of moderately high calcium levels. I don't think there is anything else that will cause this stuff to grow. It also has some interesting characteristics on where it grows, for example, my power heads are encrusted with it. Seems like the tiny electrical charge there attracts it. It also grows on the tank walls and has to be carefully removed to see the reef. It is stoney and can really scratch up a acrylic tank. It seems to be made up mostly of calcium.

Gregcoyote said:
Your coraline algae will only grow in the presence of moderately high calcium levels. I don't think there is anything else that will cause this stuff to grow. It also has some interesting characteristics on where it grows, for example, my power heads are encrusted with it. Seems like the tiny electrical charge there attracts it. It also grows on the tank walls and has to be carefully removed to see the reef. It is stoney and can really scratch up a acrylic tank. It seems to be made up mostly of calcium.

Question About calcium...

What is moderately high? From normal? I keep mine at 450

Kurt_Nelson said:
From my experience, anything above about 380ppm will grow it just fine. Below that, it may start to fade.

Does anyone know the effect if it's too high?

melosu58 said:
I also agree that PWC`s will provide all the supplementation you need. Some salt mixes might not have enough calcium and then need calcium supplements. What salt mix are you using?

Im using coralife salt mix and i also keep my calcium level at 500 ppm..but to no avail on coraline algae, had to fix the reflector on my odyssea pos... And i do see more light being reflected to the tank, the dang reflector is see through with a mirror finish... And its been 3 days and i do see and improvement...

Jspires688 said:
Willy what did you do to your reflectors?
i have the odyssea t5 24w x2 light fixture and i started gettin red algae did the check routine and all parameters were fine and took the fixture apart to clean out the reflector on it slides out and noticed black spots sse throigh, i hold it up in light and i could see through it keep in mind that is is shinny.. So i lined the black back part of the light with aluminun tray that i cut up then replaced the reflector over the aluminum so that light would bounce back to the aquarium...well i noticed that the rock were a bit brighter and corals responded and not as much red algae is forming... I have a day light abd a actinic...

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 81
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 74
Does anyone know the effect if it's too high?

No bad effect, as far as I know. I don't think it grows any faster. If you're dosing calcium to get it high, and not keeping watch on your alkalinity you can really mess things up. But if it's naturally high because that's the way your salt mix is, it should be just fine.

Normally... you can't have high calcium and high alkalinity at the same time. It's one or the other. If you have high calcium, your alkalinity levels will be lower. And vice versa.

Calcium in seawater is interesting in the fact there are multiple factors that control how much calcium can stay dissolved in solution. Too much calcium just falls out of solution and causes a brief period of white foggy water. This doesn't seem to harm anything as long as it doesn't settle on stuff and block light. So I think it is almost impossible to get it too high without a lot of effort.

Gregcoyote said:
Calcium in seawater is interesting in the fact there are multiple factors that control how much calcium can stay dissolved in solution. Too much calcium just falls out of solution and causes a brief period of white foggy water. This doesn't seem to harm anything as long as it doesn't settle on stuff and block light. So I think it is almost impossible to get it too high without a lot of effort.

So if im using purple up for my 20 gal then how much should y dose, i dose very little because i was afraid harm would come to my tank.. What light does coraline algae prefer?

Back
Top Bottom