Coralife Aqualight Placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phases99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I wanted to hear from a few folks to find out how to best place my 36" 2x96 Lunar Aqualight. Right now I have it raised using the optional legs and have my tank covered with eggcrate. I did not like the glare I was getting from the eggcrate so I placed a black plastic strip in the front which cuts down on the glare. Now I am wondering if it would be better just to lay the lights directly on top of the tank and put the eggcrate around it (or under it?) . I also need to clean the Acrylic Lens Cover every few days as I am getting a lot of salt creep from skimmer bubles. Is it true that the lens cover blocks 25% of the light. I would love to remove it but I don't think the endcaps are waterproof and I don't want a fire hazard. Whats everyone else doing? Thanks

phases99 said:
I wanted to hear from a few folks to find out how to best place my 36" 2x96 Lunar Aqualight. Right now I have it raised using the optional legs and have my tank covered with eggcrate. I did not like the glare I was getting from the eggcrate so I placed a black plastic strip in the front which cuts down on the glare. Now I am wondering if it would be better just to lay the lights directly on top of the tank and put the eggcrate around it (or under it?) . I also need to clean the Acrylic Lens Cover every few days as I am getting a lot of salt creep from skimmer bubles. Is it true that the lens cover blocks 25% of the light. I would love to remove it but I don't think the endcaps are waterproof and I don't want a fire hazard. Whats everyone else doing? Thanks

Mine's under a hood so glare isn't a problem. I would leave the legs on though unless you have a chiller. My temp got around 90 degrees with Coralights right on the glass. Even with the legs, I still have to have a fan running to keep it cool.

What's your temp?

This unit does have 2 fans it, my tank is running around 81f now. I can actually touch the acrylic lens without burning my hand.

phases99 said:
This unit does have 2 fans it, my tank is running around 81f now. I can actually touch the acrylic lens without burning my hand.

Mine has two fans also, but it is the 65x4. I guess that makes quite a bit of difference in terms of heat.

I got the latest one with (4) 96Watt bulbs. It's 12" wide and as a result would not fit while using the standard legs, because of my HOB fuge and skimmer.

I had to fashion a hinged support out of black acrylic ...

Anyway I'm getting off the point aren't I?! I've got 384 watts sitting about 6 inches above the tank, and I use a glass cover. However, I have removed the black plastic strips that hing the cover, and the clear plastic back piece. So essentially I have four 4" glass strips as covers.

Temp hover's around 79/80, house temp is about 74

BTW, I would NOT remove the acrylic lens cover, but I would consider removing the glass top and replacing w/egg crate. But then there's more evaporation ....

Back
Top Bottom