coralin algae dying???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitetiprs

Aquarium Advice Activist
It appears to me that my purple coralin algae is being turned green. Is the coralin dying or is this green encrusting algae just taking over? and can I make the purple and pinks come back?

When coraline dies off it will turn a white color(bleaching). Coraline algae may be many colors not only purple/pink. The green may be coraline or the start of some other algae growth.

Coraline algae colors depend mostly on the light in your tank. Along with many trace elements and the use of Mg. The less light you have, lower in your tank the LR is, or in a shaded area will produce the dark purple coraline. When you add more light, it gets lighter purple, and then even pink; as in my case.
It also depends on what color you have to start with. There are way too many contributing factors involved in the colors of coraline, but those are some of the main ones.
If a rock is completely encrusted in coraline, that makes it extremely hard (almost impossible)for green algae to grow on it. It may just be changing colors.

Excellent answer in the above post.

well i did stop adding any calcium and Mg so that may be why the coralin is being taken over by the green algae. I have since started to add those again to my tank. thanks

If it looks smooth and waxy then its coralline. I have some green coralline in my tank and even gray! I got a lot of the green when I ordered from Walt Smiths.

Back
Top Bottom