coraline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My coraline is starting to get brittle and looks like it might flake off in some areas....what causes this, a few weeks ago it was growing like mad?

Coralline will actually grow over itself as well as similar strains competing for the same growing areas. If it looks alot like flaking skin, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If anything it will help spore the tank as it flakes off and will eventually spread around the tank faster.

Might also be a sign of abiotic precip if you maintain your chem levels too high.

Not much you can really do about it otherwise.

Cheers
Steve

Yes, but my ca was at 450 and alk was equally high, so I have been letting it drop down a bit as steve suggested. About 3 months ago I added new lights, but I am pretty sure that everything adjusted, no?

Keep letting the levels fall to NSW parameters and you should be fine. Coralline will flake for a variety of reasons of which none should really concern you. The upgrade in lighting would have affected the coralline relatively quicky so I very much doubt that's it.

Merry Christmas
Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom