Coraline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artoledo

Aquarium Advice Freak
What product do you guys recommend for rapid coraline growth? Or what should I do to speed up the Coraline Growth Process. I read on Coral Vital and it seems to be a good product. Just want some input.

Most coralline accelerators are nothing more then ca additive so if you do use them make sure you have a ca test kit to monitor it. Proper ca levels (380-420 ppm), and medium lighting (4-6 wpg or higher), and a coralline algae source is all that's needed for it to propagate.

Never heard of Coral Vital but I do know people have had some success with Purple Up Coralline Algae Accelerator.

I used Purple for about a month when i first got into SW and i never tested for Ca nor Alk and to my surprise, my Ca was @ 600 and my Alk was @ 22.

Surprised it didn't snow like mad in your tank :eek: Were you not happy with the results of purple up? Do you have a coralline algae source? It can't appear from thin air.

Well im still working on getting my levels down. Purple up was working great. I had an explosion of coraline its just i was discouraged with the rise of Alk. Im going to finish it off tonite. I have a friend who is coming over and doing a 50% water change today.(I cant because im still recovering from knee surgery)

pwc is the only thing that will get your alk/ca levels down. You had a rise in alk because of the purple up also, if you only add enough purple up to keep your ca levels no higher then 420 ppm your alk should be in line also.

It will be in line today. I want to drop 4 point in my Alk. i should be at 8 if i do so.

Well recently i have become good friends with the owner at my LFS and he gives me really good prices and advice as well. I asked him what his water parameters were and he said that if i wanted he would get mine the way his are. Makes for easier acclimation i think. I dont buy any livestock off the net so i think that i will benefit from it. ( I have nothing against internet shopping, Shipping is too expensive)

Using a QT that matches your lfs parameters is even better then setting up your main to match.

This post goes into more detail.

If i spend any more money on any type of tank, my wife will have an aneurism. The idea is superb. If i make a strong crack at my wife with what i have just read, i might be able to win the fight. I never thought of it tho. Thanks Micah.

Doesn't have to be a tank, could just be a plastic tub which you can get for around $10-$20. That and a HOB filter with cycled media (and Purigen) and you would be set.

I just order Purigen 2 days ago from ebay. I hear nothing but good things about it so i decided to buy some and drop some in my sump.

Sounds good, just make sure the water flows through the media and not around it for the best results. I've used it for about a year and half now and it keeps nh3/no2/no3 at 0 ppm for months and is easily regenerated once it's turned brown so you can use it again.

Another product I absolutely love is PhosBan used with a PhosBan Reactor 150 , Maxi-Jet 400, 1/2" tubing, & 1/2" ball valve (comes with the reactor) to control flow (60-90 GPH). It gets your po4 to 0 ppm within days.

You don’t have to have the reactor and you could put it in sump/hob filter but it helps to keep it from clumping and is more effective if you do.

This is an Iron Oxide Hydroxide product that when used in a fluid reactor (to prevent clumping) greatly reduces po4 levels. If using with corals it's best to start off with 1/4 the recommended dosage to see how they react since some corals will retract, bleach, or die off if po4 is reduced too quickly. (The algae in some corals also is feeding off the po4) If your corals show no sign of problems increase 1/4th weekly. If you don't have corals then I'd use the full 150g from the start.

Keeping no3/po4 at 0 ppm has never been easier using these two products and tank has never looked better and is always algae free.

If you have any questions about either just let me know.

I dont think i need the PhosBan. I have never had any traces of po4. (knock on wood for that one) I dont know, maybe as i add more corals some will appear?

Tanks still fairly new but if you ever do then I'd keep it in mind. You add po4 every time you feed and po4 is very harmful to most corals. Only way to remove it is constant weekly pwc, reducing po4 from food (i.e. rinsing frozen before adding), or using a po4 removal product like Phosban.

I've had great luck with Purple-Up - no alk problems, and it helped raised the CA levels when I was using Instant Ocean salt (which always had very low CA readings).

I have a tank that's less than 3 months old (relocated an existing tank into it), and I've got tons of pink and purple coralline all over the glass. It's not covering everything, but one side has a solid growth of it that's about football sized - right where the flow from a powerhead hits.

Back
Top Bottom