Coraline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look where it grows...everywhere regardless of light intensity. It grows on the bottom of some of my rocks. In my humble opinion, I think it responds to the amount of calcium available in the water. And other factors such as current and alkalinity, but light doesn't seem to be a factor. It also seems to like to deposit on electric devices like power heads for some electrostatic reason.

Look where it grows...everywhere regardless of light intensity. It grows on the bottom of some of my rocks. In my humble opinion, I think it responds to the amount of calcium available in the water. And other factors such as current and alkalinity, but light doesn't seem to be a factor. It also seems to like to deposit on electric devices like power heads for some electrostatic reason.

I'm going to have to disagree with this, I do agree that indeed coralline needs other parameters to be able to grow but lighting if definitely a factor. Here are a few articles and stories that I just googled, pretty interesting actually.

SaltyZoo - Coralline FAQ
How do you encourage coralline algae growth?

These two both had different lighting on different sides of the tank.
Lighting And Coraline Growth - Reef Central Online Community
coraline growth and lighting experiment. - 3reef Forums

Our coralline grows on the undersides of our rocks as well. We have a pretty high calcium and it has absolutely exploded in our tank. We have to scrape it off the glass frequently. Our new koralia Powerhead is turning pink. Light spectrum seems to affect the coloration IME. New bulbs lightened from a dark pink to a lighter purple. We have a funky orangish color in some spots as well.

Then explain the equal growth on the underside of overhangs and rocks. I have been diving in caves that see zero sunlight and the walls and rocks are incrusted with Coraline algae. It's available calcium that sets it off. Not light. It is light adaptable. Different varieties populate different conditions, including light. But some of the prettiest reds are grown with almost no light and some varieties require none.

Greg... Completely agree that lighting saturation has little affect. Ours just seems to change colors (not lessen) with the application of new bulbs. The older stuff is just slightly darker. What effect would you say current has because we increased our current with our new lighting, before our latest coralline "outbreak" as well but it didn't really cross my mind as a factor. Do you think it just affect where it spreads to.. ie. Where it is carried? Or that it grows better in certain currents?

Then explain the equal growth on the underside of overhangs and rocks. I have been diving in caves that see zero sunlight and the walls and rocks are incrusted with Coraline algae. It's available calcium that sets it off. Not light. It is light adaptable. Different varieties populate different conditions, including light. But some of the prettiest reds are grown with almost no light and some varieties require none.

I really do not wish to argue, agree to disagree :)

I did not know some types could grow with zero lighting though, that is pretty cool.

I can see everybodies point the reason I asked about lighting is because I only have two major differences between the two tanks and that is lighting and a have a sump on my 90 gallon a nd a h.o.b. on my 55 gallon and I dont think that would have anything to do with it Would it??

Gregcoyote said:

I agree with you. I have coraline that flourishes underneath my live rocks where there is hardly any light. Back when I first started my tank, I used to supplement Kent liquid calcium daily to help the coraline grow. It went crazy! I know longer supplement calcium, and I have noticed that the coraline does not grow near as fast. I think it's calcium levels that make it grow

When I started to use a two part calcium supplement, my tank literally turned pink with this algae. All the rocks are coated and many have that excellent "plated" look. The stuff in the intense light is specked with white dots, while the algae in no light is a deeper purple. It adapts to it's surroundings light wise. Downside, it is very hard to get it off the tank walls as it is hard, not soft, it is loaded with calcium. But available calcium is what stimulates it's growth.

I don't like to argue as well, as opinions are like wallpaper. There is one for everybody.

How high did anyone keep CA levels to the point your saw Coraline flourish?

Some one say u dosed everyday?

My calcium is at 500 and the coralline is taking over my tank. I also have decent lighting too and pretty good water parameters. I really feel it's a combination of all three factors.

My calcium is not that high around 400 ppm but everything else is in check Im just amazed how a tank that my tank that has been up 3 months is outgrowing the one that has been up 8 months

IAgree with the purple up but you have to get you're phosphates as close to zero as you can to really have that stuff explode on you. I love the stuff and use it religiously.

My calcium is 470 my alk is 9.5, Nitartes are 2-5ppm, Phosphates are undetectable, mag is 1400, great lighting and I can't get it to grow I sit and wish the heck out of it, but what I have just stays.

Letsall agree to disagree cuz it seems to be a hit or miss... problem solved

Letsall agree to disagree cuz it seems to be a hit or miss... problem solved

LOL! I agree! Its funny to read the people that can't kill it and the ones that grow it and everybodys params are the same. There is a lot of luck involved

I have it all over my rock underneath and on top on my new tank .. my reef only no fish at the moment has some major build up but other areas rock is only turned pink.

LOL! I agree! Its funny to read the people that can't kill it and the ones that grow it and everybodys params are the same. There is a lot of luck involved
LUCK!!! I think that says it all I have 2 sw tanks and the one I was not expecting it in yet it looks like it is going to be every where and I do every thing the same to both of them

Back
Top Bottom