Coraline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coralline can take a lot of forms. In puget sound, coralline grows in the shape of acropora and other sps. Kind of neat :p

LOL! I agree! Its funny to read the people that can't kill it and the ones that grow it and everybodys params are the same. There is a lot of luck involved
It probably has more to do with the type of coralline you have in your tank... All this debate over light/low light of this parameter/that parameter... It's like saying, We all have the same parameters why is my fish dieing but yours is thriving? I have algae everywhere just like you but your fish is fat and mine looks like it is going to die. The answer is the same for both the fish and the coralline, it's a different type. One guy has a Yellow Tang and the other has a Golden Butterflyfish.
All coralline needs light... but some types need almost no light. There are 7 different colors and many variants of each color. There are three families to categorize coralline and 7 sub families.

Prove it....its a lie unless u can show me such a unit

Jsmith just because you don't know something, doesn't make it a lie if they don't prove it to you... you could look for proof that you are right rather then just assuming so until proven wrong.
There are much nicer ways of requesting additional information.

I don't mind him asking me to prove it! I mean I was wrong I'n my statement and I stood corrected it was a UV submersible and not a RO submersible... So let's all just share what we all seem to enjoy together :)

I didn't think you minded. You and Greg seem like cheery people. :D
Also it's late so I may be adding emotion to a post that isn't there.

Sarcothelia said:
I love purple up, but the stupid coralline just grows in hordes on the glass and not the rocks >>

That is such a true statement there, I just scrape from the glass onto my hand and seed it on the rocks! It works I got it covering everything

I have way better luck with coralline when using a light source that has the "shimmer" effect and a higher k spectrum. Leds and halides work best. All my t5 tanks never grew much at all. I also noticed a difference when my Nitrates and phosphate hit zero. Not zero with other algae keeping it at zero, but once my bio plastics created enough bacteria to fully consume all the nitrate and phosphate.

That has been my experience as well, although there are obviously many different strains as some grows in the absence of light.

Yes, I've kind of come to the conclusion that the shimmer effect creates a quick absence of light which coraline likes. I do think though a little of everything plays into it, but the shimmer effect definitely makes a difference. Coraline can be easily out competed by other algae, maybe that's why 0 nitrate and phosphate help as well. I once saw a MAJOR bloom of coraline in a tank full of hair algae just before it crashed. I think the hair algae out competed all other algae and created a zero nitrate and phosphate condition. Then coraline went crazy, but soon after the tank crashed and almost everything died. To bad they didn't have bio plastics back then.

dabeyta3 said:
Yes, I've kind of come to the conclusion that the shimmer effect creates a quick absence of light which coraline likes. I do think though a little of everything plays into it, but the shimmer effect definitely makes a difference. Coraline can be easily out competed by other algae, maybe that's why 0 nitrate and phosphate help as well. I once saw a MAJOR bloom of coraline in a tank full of hair algae just before it crashed. I think the hair algae out competed all other algae and created a zero nitrate and phosphate condition. Then coraline went crazy, but soon after the tank crashed and almost everything died. To bad they didn't have bio plastics back then.

Being I'n reefkeeping now about ten years and I don't know what bio plastics are? Like a bio ball or something like that... Please fill me in

http://www.aquacave.com/two-little-...br-biodegradeable-polymer-brpellets-3247.html

They are extremely powerful pure carbon little polymer pellets. You run them in a phosban reactor with special screens. I thought they were a gimmick but I couldn't have been more wrong. They do exactly what they say, and nitrate and phosphate will quickly be brought to zero, and stay there. Being pure carbon, they culture the bacteria which eliminates Nitrates and phosphates. And boy do they. Just use far less then recommended, or you will have a major bacteria bloom. Kind of like vodka, just a controlled more effective way to culture bacteria.

Looks like I need to make another purchase. Thanks so much I will certainly give them a try any hints on a reactor? I have a 150 gal. With a 40 gal sump... And thanks!

They are extremely potent. After quite a bit of trial and error, I found using the smallest size phosban reactor, plastic screens instead of black sponges, and probably a cup or so of npx bioplastics. Water flow fast enough to just churn them a tiny bit (not to much or you'll fill your tank with bacteria) and a couple days. You will almost for sure get a bacterial bloom, but it will go away in a couple days. Just don't use to much.......like I originally did. Oh and I have a 90 gallon tank. When I used the recommended amount, I couldn't get rid of the bacterial bloom. My local fish store sells everything, and they swear by them as well.

Thanks so much my friend.. I'm gonna check out some eBay right now... I'll update you on what I actually get.

Ack! We are going to need a coralline intervention. The last photo is the front of the sump. It's even growing inside the protein skimmer. We have to scrape it off the front glass once a week when we do our PWC. lol

Attachments

• image-574322365.jpg
    image-574322365.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 93
  • image-826433883.jpg
    image-826433883.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 91
  • image-1478208489.jpg
    image-1478208489.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 104
Back
Top Bottom