Coraline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maya said:
Ack! We are going to need a coralline intervention. The last photo is the front of the sump. It's even growing inside the protein skimmer. We have to scrape it off the front glass once a week when we do our PWC. lol

Be careful what you wish for! It is a pain to remove...makes regular algae look pretty tame. Sure is pretty though. And natural.

I am convinced there are so many strains that the lighting doesn't matter much, but the calcium sure does. I have it growing inside the spillway which is in darkness all the time.

We actually like it... but it's getting to the point of being funny. Every time we scrape it off the glass, we laugh about "seeding" more coralline. We run a fairly high calcium with zero dosing so it just goes and goes. It loves the powerheads and pumps and doesn't mind high flow at all. It's growing throughout our protein skimmer. I'll take it over hair and film algae any day. Lol

I myself love the colors of it and don't mind the weekly scrapings lol... But yes I'll take it over any other growth out there:)

I had a little bit of old bubble algae from an episode a few years back, the Coraline algae complexly coated it and made these cool calcium spheres.

Gregcoyote said:
I had a little bit of old bubble algae from an episode a few years back, the Coraline algae complexly coated it and made these cool calcium spheres.

That's cool... It's amazing some of the things that happen I'n an established reef tank:)

Same on mine. I have a black overflow box and it shows a pretty purple but since my tank has a blue back wall it just looks like black specks. I tell everyone it's supposed to be purple. LAO

Maya said:
We actually like it... but it's getting to the point of being funny. Every time we scrape it off the glass, we laugh about "seeding" more coralline. We run a fairly high calcium with zero dosing so it just goes and goes. It loves the powerheads and pumps and doesn't mind high flow at all. It's growing throughout our protein skimmer. I'll take it over hair and film algae any day. Lol

When you say you run a fairly high calcium, how many ppm do you maintain?

Back
Top Bottom