Coraline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

When is the best time to add this to my new nano tank? Should I wait till after the diatom, and micro blooms? Also would adding prolifera be a good idea? TIA

Six-Line said:
When is the best time to add this to my new nano tank? Should I wait till after the diatom, and micro blooms?
Won't really matter much when. As long as the chem and lighting are in line you won't have a problem, might just take a little longer to spread. I warn you though, coralline in a nano (depending on size) can be a huge pain to clean on acrylic tanks.

Also would adding prolifera be a good idea? TIA
I've seen you use that word before but it has a rather large scope. Are you sure you did not mean to say porifera aka sponges :?:

Cheers
Steve

No its Caulerpa prolifera, so its a macro algae. I thought it would be a good addition to help eliminate nitrates. Basically im asking if it will mabye use up all the calcium, or even damage corals by growing on them? I can easily keep it trimmed, just have never really seen any macros in reef tanks. So wonderign if mabye theres a reason. Thanks again

People usually grow then in their sumps... I"m guess it's because they grow like weeds and aren't very attractive mixed it with corals especially when they start taking over the tank. If you like it's look though then put you can have it in your tank, just keep it's growth in check so it's not taking over :wink:

Hmm well I am looking for a nutrient exporter. I heard a back pack skimmer would do more harm then good on a 15 gal reef. Is this true?

Six-Line said:
I heard a back pack skimmer would do more harm then good on a 15 gal reef. Is this true?
If it was suggested the skimmer will strip the tank of all nutrient, it won't. They are good skimmers for smaller tanks, I have one on my 27 gal. As far as the caulerpa, it can be a good tool if you know the downfalls and maintain the crop.

That said, I will typically grow macro's in my nano's as a form of export. Personally I prefer razor but there are better kinds that can be used. For future reference, prolifera by itself only implies something is either fast growing or a branching organism (or both). It does not actually specify something tangible.

Cheers
Steve

Ok, but the skimmer wont pull any calcium or what not from the water right? Also do you think I would be better running skimmer less? It would take up a bit of room since I can't place any corals near the pump.

Six-Line said:
Ok, but the skimmer wont pull any calcium or what not from the water right?
All skimmers remove calcium, it's unavoidable.

Also do you think I would be better running skimmer less? It would take up a bit of room since I can't place any corals near the pump.
I think in a 15 gal you would be fine without a skimmer provided you do regular water changes and at least "polish" the water once in a while using carbon or other nutrient gathering products. I also like Polyfilters. If you are able to incorporate some type of natural export like the macro algae, even better.

I have 2x ¾ gal and a 5 gal, neither use any type of man made filtration. Only the razor caulerpa, LR and a 1" oolitic aragonite. Once a month I run a small piece of a polyfilter for a few days.

Cheers
Steve

Ok, then I will try the natural methods, I already have a DSB and plenty of LR. Just bought a aquaclear HOB just for flow at the moment, but also to use carbon. Hate to ask again but won't carbon remove calcium? I think I am just paranoid about these trace elements. Thanks for the help, and patience

Six-Line said:
Hate to ask again but won't carbon remove calcium? I think I am just paranoid about these trace elements.
To a small degree carbon will remove a great many different things. IME, none that will hamper your success. I use chemi-pure 24/7 and no problems that I can detect. As far as trace elements, water changes will truely take care of that need. Believe it or not, many of the foods we use will also contribute in a small way :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom