Coraline Algae and Turbo Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stainless_wm

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am sure this question has been asked before But I couldnt find it in the "archives"

I am in the process of adding live rock (Broke college boy can only buy 1 rock at a time!!!) I have also recently added some turbo snails and 2 Hermit crabs as a cleaner crew.

I have noticed that the Coraline Algae on the rocks has started becoming lighter in color since I threw in the snails. The snails to climb all over the rocks, but I didnt think they were supposed to be detrimental to the LR.

Also I have started a pretty heavy regimen of Purple Up to try to boost the Coraline Algae.

The question is, Do large Turbo snails pose a threat to my coraline algae?

Thanks

Did you recently add the live rock as well? It's completely normal for it to lose some color after you add it to your tank, then regain the color within a few days.

Snails will not bother the coralline. Urchins will eat it. Sounds like normal die off to me. What type lighting do you have?

my mex. turbo snails do the same thing but they don't bother the coraline

The Live rocks are a few weeks old, the snails are less than a week old (in my tank anyway)
For lighhting I have a pc dual bulb with a 55w 10000k and a 55w full actinic.

i'd skip the purple up, as the coraline growth itself will require minimal calcium needs..

all purple up is, is calcium buffer...

Back
Top Bottom