Coraline algae bleaching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
My coralline algae had been growing like crazy over my LR and glass for many months. But recently had started to recede and turning to a green and whitish color. I haven't made any changes to the water chemistry apart from the regular dosing of calcium and dKH. So what could be wrong?

My water parameters are Ca=450, dKH=11, PO4~0, PH=8.2, NO2=0, NO3=25. I know my nitrate is a bit high, but it has always been about 25 when my coralline algae are growing fine. I have 160W of PC lighting. I have not changed salt and is still the same batch of salt for the past few months.

I often have the same thing happen to me. It comes and goes in waves it seems. It will bleach, grow back, bleach, grow back. In the meantime my glass and powerheads get totally covered in the stuff with no aparent bleaching going on there.

However, Since I started dosing with calcium it has happened less frequently. perhaps its just a coincidence.

I have no solution, so I am going to hop on this thread with you and wait for an answer. :p

Interesting... So that means that it could be a toxic substance released by a coral in certain periods? Do you guys have a common coral?

I haven't upgraded any lights. and its not a different coraline color. its acually turning white. as if its dead. several weeks later, it comes back.

Like RocketSeason, I have not upgraded my lights. My coraline is purple red and then turned white. But so far I haven't notice them changing back.

My coraline does this as well. I control Ca/Alk using Kalk. So it seems to grow/recede in certain areas, it always seems to be doing well enough that I don't worry too much about it.

I have been dosing calcium regularly and it seems to recede in certain areas, which I am not too concerned about yet. Well, it hasn't got worst.

I love your picture your using as your avitar. Did you take it? the lighting is great.

I love firefish. they have great little personalities.

Yes I did take the photo myself. My camera has a very large aperture allowing me to take flashless photos which gives it a better natural lighting. I love firefish too and I have a purple one just like yours, except that it hides most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom