Coraline Algae Bleaching.. Replace Lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey All,

I have VHO Lighting, 2x 110w for my 55g Tank. 1 Atinic, and 1 10k

In the last couple of weeks I have noticed some of my Coraline algae on my rocks has bleached out, and my Pumping Xenias which use to be all open and beautiful, and grew like weeds, have stoped growing, and are real short and only open a little.

The rest of my corals are all open and happy.

My water parameters are all Normal. 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 0 Nitrates, 8.2-8.3 PH, 1.022 SG, 420 Calcium, 1200 Magnesium.

Is this a sign It's time to replace my lamps? They have been running since late December 2006.

Thanks for the help.

-TheChad

Do a med water change , then do the lamps the lamps are 6 months which is getting time to order but should not have had that much of a spectral shift ...The coral line bleaching happens when exposed to air or even a bit of shade it will come back . I would say that you can change them out now to see if that helps the xenia

I dont think the problem that you are having is from a need to replace your lamps. It's getting close to that time, but most people wait 7 or more months before replacing VHO lamps and certainly the spectrum shift would not cause that severe a result.

My guess is you are having a problem with ionic balance in the Calcium and Alkalinity department. Your calcium should be between 350-450 ppm and your alkalinity should be around 185 ppm. I would test those variable along with ph and salinity, post them here and we can go from there.

I replaced the lights yesterday.

My Xenias still arn't happy.

The corraline is still to yet to be seen..

-TheChad

2 things, One the coraline will take time. It might be months before some noticable difference. two is that When you change VHO bulbs IMO you should only change one at a time. Too much of a change to do both. I always change the actinic first and the 50/50 two weeks later. Just my experience. Hopefully your tank will make the adjustment of both bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom