Coraline Algae Growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What kind of additives do I need to add to the water to get my coraline algae to grow rapidly. My calcium is in good shape but I need to know what else will help. My lr.com order will be here in the morning and I would like to have some to start from day one.

I have been told that the calcium will help it but strontium will assist it most. I use seachems reef complete and reef builder. My coralline has spread quick and looks great.

Unfortunately the answer is time. Mine took 6 months before it really started taking off. Good CA and ALK levels are also needed. You may be suprised to see your Coralline actually recede for the first month or so after you add your LR.

B-Ionic. My coraline growth was pretty fast before I started dosing B-Ionic but it has really taken off since I started dosing that. I keep Ca, Alk & mg test kids on hand and test before dosing. I'm using Reef Crystals salt so my Alk comes out of the bucket pretty high. I generally have to add Ca before I have to add Alk to the tank.

Coraline Algae growth

Check your calcium levels with a test kit. Add calcium supplement to the water at about 410ppm to 420ppm, Do not exceed 420ppm as you could create a chain reaction where as all the calcium is removed from your system. Do this for a few months, it worked for me. But as Phases99 stated "time" is definetely a factor when looking for coraline. Heres a pic of my coraline covered glass after 1 year of following my regime.

Attachments

• marine_tank_2.jpg
    marine_tank_2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 190
I agree with everything said above, but also consider phosphates. A tank high in phosphates will inhibit coralline growth. Just something to consider. HTH

if your doing a reef chuck the idea of correline and get some fast spreading encrusting corals like star polyps..........

Just a quick question along the same lines. Is coraline algea that hard stuff that grows on the glass if you look close it looks like a little swirl?

I think the little swirls are a type of filter feeding worm (like a feather duster, but much smaller).

One thing that I didnt see mentioned is that coralline is a lower light algae. It does not thrive in high light.

I keep my Ca closer to 450. From everything I've read, the danger of crashing has more to do with the inbalance of Ca & Alk or overdosing of supplements. This article was an easy read given the topic: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/calcalkmar.htm

I'd love to see more information on Ca over 420 causing system crashes. That has me really curious!

B-Ionic is a 2 part dosing system. Kalkwasser needs to be dripped or risk a PH spike in the tank since out of the bottle the PH is like 12! That keeps me at arms distance from that method of supplementation at the moment!

Back
Top Bottom