Coraline algae on back glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PassMeThePuffer said:
Hey robbie on your 3rd photo there little white blobs (look like maggots) what are those they just started showing up in my tank!

Those look like snails.

They look like stomatella snails to me. But other common "white blobs" include asterina stars and pineapple sponge.

On the glass they are snails on the over flow box it's the dead Chroline algae

I use stainless steel blades about 8 inchs long from hobby lobby cost about 6 bucks a piece razor sharp work great takes just a few seconds.

I use a magfloat for normal algae buildup on the glass and it works fine. But in terms of coraline removal, I have had great success with the credit/gift card. Pretty helpful for people who have acrylic tanks since blades would just scratch them.

i let it grow on powerheads overflow box and back glass, like keeping the front clean and one side where people view the tank, i really like it on the back glass.

I had the back of the tank coated with coralline for years and decided to scrape it all off one day just for a change. I liked it a little better scrapped. My MO was usually to scrape off everything during the first year so the flakes would heavily seed the rock. After the rock was overun with coralline I would let it stay on the glass. Whenever I scrapped down the refugium I would sometimes draw the bits out and sprinkle them over the rock in the main tank. That really did the job.

CorallineAlgae said:
My MO was usually to scrape off everything during the first year so the flakes would heavily seed the rock. After the rock was overun with coralline I would let it stay on the glass. Whenever I scrapped down the refugium I would sometimes draw the bits out and sprinkle them over the rock in the main tank.

I like your idea about scrapping the glass for the 1yr to seed the the rocks more.

jose7878 said:
I like your idea about scrapping the glass for the 1yr to seed the the rocks more.

Thanks. I would always add a dose of iodine and strontium to the tank after I scrapped it down. Many people find it can help it to grow faster, especially because coralline is largely made of strontium and reacts well it iodine.

With the name being corallinealgae...you can't argue with that info! But basically scrapings with proper strontium and elements will help it grow. Turn the skimmer off through when you do it.

Sniperhank said:
Turn the skimmer off through when you do it.

Right on! Shutting down the skimmer and removing the sock for cleaning is the best time to scrape. Since skimmers have to be broken down a bit to clean anyway that's a great cue to bust out an old credit card. No point in seeding the collection cup and mechanical filter with coralline scrapings. Nice call Sniper.

Do you clean off algae from the back glass as well. I have some green tiffs of algae on the back glass that isn't spreading so I leave it there. Should I scrap it off.

Personally if I cant see through it I want coraline on it :D Gives it the mature look of a well established tank but everyones got there preferences.

I like the idea of scrapping the back during the first year to seed the rocks will try this on my new tank.

:thanks:

Shoei said:
Personally if I cant see through it I want coraline on it :D Gives it the mature look of a well established tank but everyones got there preferences.

I like the idea of scrapping the back during the first year to seed the rocks will try this on my new tank.

:thanks:

Very true. When the powerheads, overflow and return pipes are getting coated then having the back and even a side covered in coralline really does make it all match the rest of the tank.

The only thing that can be lost is the sense of depth that certain black, blue or white backgrounds can give to a tank. A tank can look smaller when the back is encrusted and brightly lit, like a coral cage. I made a shade for a tiny 10 gallon reef I ran for about 5 years just so the back, which was solid coralline was much darker than the rest of the tank and it added a great look of depth that it was missing. The shade also seemed to make the coralline grow thick. It didn't work on my 30L reef, though. That tank just had to be scrapped down to give it the right effect. I love how there are so many ways to adjust the feel and look of a reef!

Back
Top Bottom