Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #31
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

With the name being corallinealgae...you can't argue with that info! But basically scrapings with proper strontium and elements will help it grow. Turn the skimmer off through when you do it.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Turn the skimmer off through when you do it.
Right on! Shutting down the skimmer and removing the sock for cleaning is the best time to scrape. Since skimmers have to be broken down a bit to clean anyway that's a great cue to bust out an old credit card. No point in seeding the collection cup and mechanical filter with coralline scrapings. Nice call Sniper.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you clean off algae from the back glass as well. I have some green tiffs of algae on the back glass that isn't spreading so I leave it there. Should I scrap it off.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Shoei
Personally if I cant see through it I want coraline on it Gives it the mature look of a well established tank but everyones got there preferences.

I like the idea of scrapping the back during the first year to seed the rocks will try this on my new tank.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoei
Personally if I cant see through it I want coraline on it Gives it the mature look of a well established tank but everyones got there preferences.

I like the idea of scrapping the back during the first year to seed the rocks will try this on my new tank.

Very true. When the powerheads, overflow and return pipes are getting coated then having the back and even a side covered in coralline really does make it all match the rest of the tank.

The only thing that can be lost is the sense of depth that certain black, blue or white backgrounds can give to a tank. A tank can look smaller when the back is encrusted and brightly lit, like a coral cage. I made a shade for a tiny 10 gallon reef I ran for about 5 years just so the back, which was solid coralline was much darker than the rest of the tank and it added a great look of depth that it was missing. The shade also seemed to make the coralline grow thick. It didn't work on my 30L reef, though. That tank just had to be scrapped down to give it the right effect. I love how there are so many ways to adjust the feel and look of a reef!

Tags
algae, coral, coraline, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com