Coraline algae question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had a big problem with all of my coralline algae bleaching and now in some spots I can see the coralline turning pink again. When I doing some stuff in my tank, I moved a rock and there was a super purple area of coralline underneath it. Why would this happen? could it have something to do with my lights? It just seems like where ever the light doesn't directly shine has good coralline growth. I have 2 96 watt PC's, 1 bulb actinic and 1 bulb 10,000 k. The bulbs are JBJ and they are pretty new, I got them around x-mas when I got my lights. At first the coralline algae was growing super fast and then all of a sudden started to bleach! Please help me with this, I am going nutz!

TIA,
Josh

I moved a rock and there was a super purple area of coralline underneath it. Why would this happen?

The purple corallines are lower light coraline and prefer indirect light, IME.

At first the coralline algae was growing super fast and then all of a sudden started to bleach

Did the bleaching coincide with the new bulbs? Could be UV burning, or the increased intensity.

Well it was growing pretty good when i got the lkights and then started to bleach, maybe it was because most of it was really purple and it was the low light stuff. i can see some of the white spots of coralline on the back of my glass coming back to life now and becoming pink. What kind of coraline grows in intense light? When I got my lights I slowly addapted the tank to the more intense light.

What kind of coraline grows in intense light? When I got my lights I slowly addapted the tank to the more intense light.

My tank has very intense lighting and all I get are pinks and greens.

Back
Top Bottom