Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2008, 09:47 PM   #11
Thanx but no.....

Sorry Mego, I could have sworn I read that you had a wet/dry w/ bioballs. My mistake...

Old 07-18-2008, 02:06 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Corraline like light and a food source and good flow. That fact you cant get it means theres a problem.
If your useing tap water i would stop.
What food is added to the tank?
Whats used for flow?
What type of lighting?

Old 07-19-2008, 09:17 AM   #13
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Lance, read the entire post before replying. The answers to your questions are already here.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Still new.....What is GFO?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is a suggestion right. All i did was add my 2 cents and if its correct or already answered then my reply only confirms it , No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccapt View Post
Lance, read the entire post before replying. The answers to your questions are already here.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

What part was mentioned?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:30 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What part was mentioned?
Except for food (kinda), all your questions were already answered in the original poster's first two posts.

Quote:
Still new.....What is GFO?
Granulated Ferric Oxide - it's used in a fine mesh bag, put in a low flow area to suck up phosphates. It's the rust colored phosphate remover... not the white one.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:19 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I see he uses an RO unit but im not sure this is for phosphate. I think maybe you nees the DI part.

Phosphate could be from low flow and feeding habits. Or still could be from unkown waer source.
Are you buying RO water or do you have an RO unit?
Also dont know whats used for flow and the food used with feeding scedule.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:06 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Number one cause of Algae is excess nutrients in your system. For example high NitrAtes and any reading of Phosphates. Manual removal of the hair algae is a good place to begin. Method: Pinch the algae off the rock hold it in your fingers and remove it completely from the tank. Repeat. On a 300g reef a refugium should be at least 30g with LOTS of macro algae. Cheato and or other types will help reduce excess nutrients in your water.

An RO with DI unit is a must to help reduce nutrients at the source. If you own a unit it may be a good idea to change your filters out. Also if you are feeding multiple times a day reduce your feeding and the amount of food. If you are feeding frozen foods you will want to rinse them off in RO/DI water prior to feeding this will futher reduce excess nutrients bieng introduced to the tank. Flake and some pellet foods are already high in excess nutrients and can lend to algae issues.

Increasing the size of your refugium and or purning the plants in it as well as increased PWCs will help (provided your source water is at 0 TDS) turn the situation around.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:55 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I could not get my coraline to grow until someone on here (AA) gave me the reef water parameter web site.(Sorry I don't have it on this computer, maybe someone could post it again) I know you have some other issues that have already been mentioned, but check your magnesium. That was my problem. I have been dosing and checking levels and my coraline is finally growing.

Tags
algae, coral, coraline

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com