Coraline Algae will not grow!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Water testing is very important and learning there cause and effect is needed for a basic understanding of your tank. After your tank is cycled you would have tested enough to understand them .

Ammonia, Nitrate , Nitrite , PH , Alk , Phosphate ,DKh , Calcium , salinity , and Temp. will tell alot. You have these youll know why you dont have coralline.

Ammonia, Nitrate , Nitrite , PH , Alk , Phosphate ,DKh , Calcium , salinity , and Temp. will tell alot. You have these youll know why you dont have coralline.

See first post. These numbers are already there. And just so others aren't confused... "alk" and "DKh" are the same thing.

Lance:
I have a 300 gallon reef tank that has been established for 7 years and I cannot get coraline algae to grow.
There is a wet-dry filter, 3 large powerheads, metal halide lighting, +400 lbs of live rock, countless inverts, 16 fish...

I have tried putting coraline encrusted rocks in the tank, purple up, reef chemicals, etc. I feel like it's hopeless!

If you have any tricks or tips they would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Here are my water parameters:
pH: 8.3
NO2: 0.3 ppm
NO3: 20 ppm
KH: 130 ppm
Ca: 400 ppm
PO4: 2.5 ppm
Salinity: 1.023

I noticed a decline in my coraline when upgraded to MH lighting. Coraline is really a lower light "algae". Another member suggested checking your Mag levels. Do you have a lot of SPS corals in the tank?

The newer higher lighting would effect the whole tank.Whene upgrading lights or replacing bulbs its best to reduce the main light time to an hour or 2 and bring it up slowly. Your system from bacteria to coral to coralline could get stressed from this change. And with better lighting you might get more pink and brown coralline which is harder to achieve.

I think the fact that you have a few issues going on in the system right now is part of the reason the coraline isn't growing. High PO4 and trace low alk and high lighting all contribute.

With the Hair algae I would concern myself more with correcting that right now then work towards the coraline. By reducing the amount of excess nutrients in your system you will see a decline in the hair algae and this could also help out in the coraline growth. As others have suggested adding GFO will help reduce the PO4. I would also suggest frequent PWC of 20% or better. (what kind of salt mix are you using?)

I think I suggested pruning your refugium also. By doing this you will remove some of the nutrients that are stored in the macro, also it promotes growth and will help remove more nutrients from your system.

I would also reduce the lighting period per day for a little while until you get the hair algae undre control. The best method of control is manual remove coupled with the other suggestions mentioned. I think by getting a handle on the hair algae and the source of it's fuel you'll see a turn around with your coraline growth.

Back
Top Bottom