coraline help test kit results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MorayMadness

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok my ca is at 380 ppm alk is 400mg/l and my kh is 214.80ppm i am using tap water in a 30g holding tank for 24hours before pwc using tropic marin salt .

what should my readings pref be at ? and what additives should i get to get the right results? thanks

want to get a good coraline growth and get xenia and lps corals.

55g reef ls 80lbs lr
mushrooms polyps,
4 x65 pc lights
1 x 28 w t5

i mean my dkh is 12

i have a seperate alk kit tested 9meg/l or 450mg/l is it one in the same ? or different ?

shouldnt my ca levels be around 400 ?

i have had this setup for years and still no coraline. .

is my alk out of wack ? i havent teste for mag yet.

MorayMadness said:

Coraline algae needs to have a "seed." If you never had any to start with - like if you had ALL base rock - then none will grow.

Your parameters are good enough for it to form. I had my Ca at 360 and Alk at 8 dKH for the first 2-3 months and coraline grew just fine. It wasn't until it was depleted down to about 320ppm (unknownst to me at the time) that it stopped forming and I started figuring out the whole Calcium deal. Now that I'm back up to 380-400, it's coming back great!

MorayMadness said:
i have a seperate alk kit tested 9meg/l or 450mg/l is it one in the same ? or different
I'm not familiar with readings in mg/l, or how to convert one to the other. If your Alk is coming up 9 meg/l that is very high. I'm not sure you could get that high with out having major issues. What brand test kit are you using? Does it have a reference test to see if it's still good? If so I would run a reference.

MorayMadness said:
shouldnt my ca levels be around 400 ?
350-450 is fine. Somewhere in the middle, 400-425, is just a good medium. It allows for any inaccuracies in the test kit along with natural fluctuations with out Ca being too high or dropping too low.

Kurt_Nelson said:
MorayMadness said:

Coraline algae needs to have a "seed." If you never had any to start with -
That is not exactally true ....In my tank all of the LR I had NONE had coraline algea . After a year keeping the CA stable it started to grow.
While it is true that seeding it will help to get it started it is not needed .
I have had mine up for almost 9 months in the Living room and still only get it on the rocks , and a few specles on the glass . The one in the BR is going crazy(it was till it leaked ) Now it is just a matter of time for it to go crazy again..... It also depends on what you have pulling CA from your system , if you have a lot of corals(LPS) that use CA it is not that far fetched to not have it going wild crazy on equipment and glass , or even the rocks , you may need to suppliment CA to give it a kick .

yes thanks, i had some coraline growing on specs on glass and rock. from time to time. i just started using tropic marin salt before i was using IO. this is actually the first day for my new complete pwc with TM salt. i tested for a high amount of alk, i will retest my tank and my pwc before i do it. ill post up the results again and see whats up. thinking about getting kents turbo calcium. as i stated before i am using tap water not ro/di. ill keep you posted,

thanks all

ok test results are in

pwc water holding for 48 hrs. with tropic marin
ca 320
8-9 dkh
5-6 alk
8.2 ph

Main tank water test

ca- 400
5-6 dkh
alk 4-5
ph - 8.4- 8.5

surprisingly my ca went up from last night. seems my ph is a bit high and my DKH is low. but from my new pwc its almost perfect except for the low ca levels., maybe i need to boost my ca in my pwc?

any ideas?

i am getting a seachem mag test kit today or tomorrow. thx

except for the low ca levels., maybe i need to boost my ca in my pwc?
Boosting it to 400-425 would be a good idea. Turbo calcium would be perfect for this. I've heard TM salt is on the low side for Ca so it's not surprising. I would recommend getting a better Alk test kit. Increments of .5 meg/l or less would suit a reef tank much better. 4-5, 5-6 meg/l is kind of a broad range for getting Ca/alk levels balanced.
Have you used the online calculator for dosing measurements? Makes life easier, I can post a link if neccessary.

thanks ! yeah i have the calculator from another post i have it all set . going to dose it.

my alk kit is from seachem that has it in meg/l each drop is .5 meg/l and i had 10 drops or 11 so i took that divided by half since its .5 and got 5-6 meg/l

my alk kit is from seachem that has it in meg/l each drop is .5 meg/l and....
Gotcha- I've done the same thing. Seachem is a good test kit, no need for another then. 5-6 meg/l Alk is definitely on the high side. I did not know TM was so high.? I'm not sure I'd like that too much. 4.5 meg/l would be about the highest I'd comfortably go in the tank. 3-4 meg/l is about average IME.

if i boost my ca will that drop my alk ?

i need to lower my alk and raise my ca so maybe i can balance it out by raising my ca? is this true ?

if i boost my ca will that drop my alk ?
No. Lowering numbers is often more effort than it's worth or impossible.
Like I said, I've never heard of TM salt having issues w/ high Alk. Maybe you should try another Alk test on new SW to be sure of your original result. A reference test, supplied w/ the kit, may be a good idea as well to be sure it's not bad.

sadielynn said:
That is not exactally true ....In my tank all of the LR I had NONE had coraline algea
It had to be introduced into the system some how. Maybe it was in a nook on a piece of rock or bleached/faded and you missed it, possibly on a coral frag you added, or spores floating in some LFS water that was introduced to your system. It has to come from somewhere.

I think the tap water may be causing the high alk readings. I've been having the same problems, having a reading of around 16-17 dKh (and around 500 ppm Ca). But it seems a few days after a water change the levels balance out fine to around 12 dKh and 450 ppm Ca.

I also use tap water in my tank.

ok so i tested my tank the day after of my pwc with tropic marin salt. 55 reef did a 20 percent change roughly 10g,

ca 360
dkh 9
ph 8.4
mg 1100

no3, no4 po4, 0.0

i bought some kents turbo calc. going to try to get my ca up there to 420 ish

i have a question i havd a KH test kit that measures DKH and i have a alkalinity test kit that measures in meg/l

is these one in the same ? dkh is alkalinity?

Back
Top Bottom