Coraline scrapper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty27

Aquarium Advice Activist
What do you guys use to scrape coraline aglea ("pink" algea) off the glass without scratching the glass? I tried using my finger nail on one spot, but it's really tough!

I just came home from MACNA last weekend (GO NEXT YEAR, everyone!!!!!), totally psyched to get back to my neglected tank and clean it all up. First project: scrape algae and coralline algae off the glass. I started with one of those razor blade scrapers on a long handle from the LFS (or actually Drs. Foster and Smith, I believe). There was so much thick coralline that within a minute or so, the razor blade was totally bent and destroyed. I went to a hand-held single-edged razor blade (only about one inch long, as opposed to maybe two inches of blade in the holder), and it worked like a charm! There are only a couple of small patches in the back which are too thick for this smaller blade and my hand to tackle.

Anyone have any thoughts on the problem of the really thick deposits??

Anyway, I've always relied on the old basic single edged razor blade and I guess I'll stick with it. Really cheap by the 100-pack at the local hardware store.

Glass vs. acrylic: Razor blades won't damage glass, but don't use them on acrylic.

I have used a 5-in-1 (for painting), or even a very rigid putty knife (for painting). I also use a thicker razor blade, that I got from HD, that fit into a handle.

The use the Kent pro scraper with the metal edge installed. Good old fashion razor blades work great as well...just be mindful of the seals on the tank.

I just use regular razor blade from the hardware store. I have one I use on the SW tank for coraline on the front glass only (I dont mind it growing on the sides and back) and have one for my freshwater tanks for green spot algae (Except in my 75 cause the bristlenose pleco takes care of all that)

Back
Top Bottom