Coralline algae and lighting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snapcrackler

Aquarium Advice Addict
In my 55SW I currently have a 40W Triton (daylight) and a 40W Coralife actinic. That works out to only about 1.45 WPG.

I just ordered a 4X65 custom PC light from www.captivereefs.com (2 daylight 2 actinic) so that will put me at 4.72 WPG. (weee!)

Anyway, the already-established coralline algae is doing just fine on my LR now, but I am not seeing any on the glass and stuff. The tank is only maybe 4-5 months old but I was hoping I'd have corraline algae growth by now.

Just wondering if I am going to see an increase in coralline algae growth with the tripled lighting? From what I have researched it seems that not all coralline "needs" intense light, but.... overall what do you think?

Also I understand that ALK and CA are quite important for coralline, I use kalk and reef essentials with all makeup water.

TIA

Just wondering if I am going to see an increase in coralline algae growth with the tripled lighting? From what I have researched it seems that not all coralline "needs" intense light, but.... overall what do you think?

You may very well see an increase in growth since you are below the 1.5 wpg of lighting that most recommend for good coralline growth. However, you are correct, that intense light actually inhibits or slows coralline down. But I don't think you will have that problem your PC's. I think MH's (unless you have a TON of VHO or PC) are than intense light that people talk about that slows coralline growth.

Using Kalk will definitely cause the coralline to get moving. As soon as I started dripping, coralline growth seemed to spread dramatically.

Excellent Biggen thank you! for the good advice.

I will continue to use kalk and let y'all know how the new lighting affects the coralline.

The twin tube lighting will go to the 40G so that we'll have 2 WPG on that one which should be moderately ok for the stuff that's in there now.

super cool beans.. thanks again

I hope this doesnt discourage you...but ive talked to many people that use just normal output flourescents and the coralline growth is out of control. Just something to think about. 3x the lighting sometimes inhibits coralline growth and coloration. I believe the really dark purple is from high intensity lights and the light purple/pink is from pcs and lower light levels.

No sweat, dude. Purple is almost my favorite color anyway. hehe

I have some very dark purple, maroon, purple, pink, flourescent green, and like a pink/tan colored coralline going on the rocks right now. I will keep an eye on those patches and see what they think of the big light. I hope it doesn't blast any of them too bad.

The flourescent green is very.. flourescent. There's a cerith whose shell is partially covered with the flourescent green stuff, it's easy to spot him.

I ahve medium lighting, 36" NO on the left side and a 36" Aqualight on the right with one 03 actinic and one 10k. I have so much coraline growth I'm still trying to scrap most of it off the front glass. Base rock is mostly covered with red and mostly purple. The tank is only 9 months old.

just out of curiousity when doing kalk or thru a reactor whats the preferred drip rate?

just out of curiousity when doing kalk or thru a reactor whats the preferred drip rate?

Varies from each tank due to evaporation and how much you actually want to raise/maintain Alk and Ca. For my tank, I drip about 1-2 drips per second to keep up with evap.

Back
Top Bottom