Coralline algae dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dlanciloti

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My coralline algae is dying off of some of my rocks in my tank but my corals and fish seem to be doing fine. Is this somthing i should be concerned about or is this okay?

Do you know your Ca level ?
If it is low raise and test your Mg.
Low Mg will deplete Ca from water column.

There is 2 damsels a clown fish a powder brown tang a few starfish some snails and 2 peppermint shrimp and there are some bristle worms that I️ need advise getting rid of also. There also are these tiny starfish in my tank which I️ did not introduce.

Do you have lots of growing sps corals? Or even just lots of soft corals that are growing rapidly. They could be out competing the coraline for calcium.

Why get rid of the worms? They’re very beneficial

I️ only have soft corals growing right now. And there are about 4 or 5 worms in there right now and some of them look to be about 3 inches is that okay?

Also my salinity levels are a bit low at about 1.024 how could I️ raise that?

as long as you stay in the range of 1.021 and 1,026 your right in the center of the salinity scale at 1.024 that is a perfect medium IMO

Bristol worms serve 2 purposes the first is a member of the clean up crew . the second is when you see them getting large and multiplying thats a good indicator your over feeding

those tiny stars are fine in small numbers if you see the numbers increasing you can control that during water change just siphon them out there more annoying than anything else.

as for CAL check MAG like stated above than go from there

How often are you doing water changes? What are your nitrate levels at? I’d suspect this is simply from lack of reintroducing elements into the system via weekly 10% water changes.

Back
Top Bottom