Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2003, 12:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Coralline algae question

When I bought my LR, it was encrusted with a light purple colored algae. The size of the purple patches and their color have diminished over the past 2 months as the tank cycled. But most of these rocks were at the bottom of the tank though.

Now there is a purple film growing on the LR at the very top rock of the pile. That's also coralline algae, right? This purple color is much darker than the original purple on my LR.

My question is this: will the purple film eventually harden to encrust my LR, or is this a different type of algae than what I had on my LR?

Old 11-01-2003, 01:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to ddcboys
Die off of the coral line algae is normal during the cycle. It should return when the everything levels off. As for the purple film I would like to see a pic. I mean is does it come off in sheets or get into the walls of the tank of the gravel area??? If this is so you might have a case of cyto bacteria. Anyways I cant tell with out more Spec's. HTH

Old 11-01-2003, 01:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Yea, could be either. My coraline grew back darker, so I hope that is what it is, but if it isn't encrusting, could be cyano.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 03:14 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Now there is a purple film growing on the LR at the very top rock of the pile.
If its not hard, ie you can take your finger and wipe it off then its not coraline. Coraline will require some acutall effort to remove from the rock vs just being able to wipe if off with gental pressure.

About the only thing you need for coraline to grow is decent light, good calcium levels and decent water quality.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

My tank is at the office, so I can't shove my hand in the tank right now. But here's what I do know. When the tank lights are on, bubbles appear underneath the purple film, stretching it out. When the lights are off, the film lies flat.

So is that is cyano? If that's not obvious enough to tell, I'll try and get a digicam. But if this is cyano, what should I do about it? Toothbrush? Leave it? My hermits don't seem to have any interest in it.

One last question: the original hunks of LR with the nice (hard) coralline algae on it are at the bottom of the tank. Should I move them to the top of the rock pile?

Tags
algae, coral, coralline

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com