Coralline algae question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leafyseadragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I bought my LR, it was encrusted with a light purple colored algae. The size of the purple patches and their color have diminished over the past 2 months as the tank cycled. But most of these rocks were at the bottom of the tank though.

Now there is a purple film growing on the LR at the very top rock of the pile. That's also coralline algae, right? This purple color is much darker than the original purple on my LR.

My question is this: will the purple film eventually harden to encrust my LR, or is this a different type of algae than what I had on my LR?

Die off of the coral line algae is normal during the cycle. It should return when the everything levels off. As for the purple film I would like to see a pic. I mean is does it come off in sheets or get into the walls of the tank of the gravel area??? If this is so you might have a case of cyto bacteria. Anyways I cant tell with out more Spec's. HTH 0X

Yea, could be either. My coraline grew back darker, so I hope that is what it is, but if it isn't encrusting, could be cyano.

:hat:

Now there is a purple film growing on the LR at the very top rock of the pile.

If its not hard, ie you can take your finger and wipe it off then its not coraline. Coraline will require some acutall effort to remove from the rock vs just being able to wipe if off with gental pressure.

About the only thing you need for coraline to grow is decent light, good calcium levels and decent water quality.

My tank is at the office, so I can't shove my hand in the tank right now. But here's what I do know. When the tank lights are on, bubbles appear underneath the purple film, stretching it out. When the lights are off, the film lies flat.

So is that is cyano? If that's not obvious enough to tell, I'll try and get a digicam. But if this is cyano, what should I do about it? Toothbrush? Leave it? My hermits don't seem to have any interest in it.

One last question: the original hunks of LR with the nice (hard) coralline algae on it are at the bottom of the tank. Should I move them to the top of the rock pile?

Back
Top Bottom