Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2004, 05:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

coralline algae question

Ok, sorry i have not posted in a while but my wife just gave birth to our first child, Alex. I have been very busy to say the least heh. In a few years maybe i will have a helper for the the tank

Anyway, my question is this: I know coralline algae does best with low nitrate levels ~0-5 on the salifert scale, i was wondering what is way to high for coralline algae? I have been battleing high nitrates for a while and am slowly starting to bring my numbers down, they where off the scale now they are at 30ish and slowly dropping.

Dave

40gal plexi aquarium, 2x96w PC's, Fluval 404 filter, Remora Pro Protein skimmer, 2xMaxiJet 600 PH, 30lbs LR, 140lbs Live Sand <Aragonite>, 1 Sailfin Tang, 2 Percula Clowns, 2 Neon Gobies, colony of green striped mushrooms.

Cleaners: 1 blue-legged Hermit, 5 assorted small crabs, 6 nassarius snails, 2 bumblebee snails and 5 Trochus snails.
Dvoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 06:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congrats on the new arrival

Coralline tends to thrive when phosphates are low and calcium/alkalinity are in balance. To answer your question, I do think your nitrates are a little high but not necessarily a problem here.. however you should try to aim for something under 10 if at all possible.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 08:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Congrats on your new addition. High nitrates tend to favor the growth of more undesirable algaes but your alk and ca play a bigger role. You may have a few sleepless nights coming so maybe you could use them to do some more water changes.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 12:24 AM   #4

lol you can say that again Phases Tomorrow i am goig out to get the alk and ca tests to see where i am at. Will post those values as well when i know em

Dave

40gal plexi aquarium, 2x96w PC's, Fluval 404 filter, Remora Pro Protein skimmer, 2xMaxiJet 600 PH, 30lbs LR, 140lbs Live Sand <Aragonite>, 1 Sailfin Tang, 2 Percula Clowns, 2 Neon Gobies, colony of green striped mushrooms.

Cleaners: 1 blue-legged Hermit, 5 assorted small crabs, 6 nassarius snails, 2 bumblebee snails and 5 Trochus snails.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:36 AM   #5

Ok i tested my alk and ca and here is what i came up with... Tests are Salifert.

alk (Kh) 7.4
(alk) 2.63

CA 400 ish or 450 (depending on when i read the syringe)

I also have a question on how to read the CA test. Do you stop and take a reading when some of the liquid turns blue and there is some pink solids floating at the bottom of the vial? Or do you keep going till the whole vial is a clear blue with no pink at the bottom?

Dave

Old 10-20-2004, 09:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

YOu need to mix the powder in good before adding the drops.. Then add drops until there is only blue. Once you see blue stop adding and swirl if it turns pink again add another drop and so on till its all blue.
400-450 is good the alk can come up slowly to high 9 to low 11 or so.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:35 PM   #7

Ok, Seaham, I have jus started using a 2 part buffering solution 3 times a week. Is this the correct thing to raise the alk and keep the CA raised?

Dave

Tags
algae, coral, coralline

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com