Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Coralline algae question

Does coralline algae start out white? I had a large area of white on my LR, but it seems to be turning purple. Also, is there BLUE coralline algae? One of my patches is blue, unless it's something else.

My camera won't focus on it. I didn't know that a new digital camera with manual focus was going to be required for this hobby!!!

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Does it look something like this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0643_127.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1451  

Old 03-13-2005, 12:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If so, I was told by steve-s and Fluff that it might be some sort of sponge. Pretty cool!
Old 03-13-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
steve-s

Re: Coralline algae question

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiman
Does coralline algae start out white?
No, that would usually indicate bleaching.

Quote:
I had a large area of white on my LR, but it seems to be turning purple.
That is a good sign. The new growth of coralline is growing over the old stuff. It will eventually completely cover the area providing conditions remain favorable.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-13-2005, 02:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey DAWG, that's EXACTLY what I have!! I feel like I'm looking at a picture of my rock!

And, Steve ... tank conditions WILL continue to remain favorable!!! I had to slowly increase alk and pH and iodine in preparation for my first-ever coral frag: pumping Xenia (getting it next Saturday). All additions proceeding slowly, slowly, slowly. My Ca is now 420, alk 3.5 (target is 4) meq and iodine, well..., see below:

BTW, I can't match the colors on my Seachem test kits at all (onset of colorblindness???), so my method is to try to get my iodine test to match (or remain slightly LESS intense than) the reference standard sent in the kit. So far I've added three drops of Lugol's solution over a 5-day period in my 30 gal tank (my first test was ZERO), and my color is still thin, but gaining....

Now I'll watch conditions for the week. AM I ok with alk where it is for Xenia? Most info indicates that Xenia likes it hard.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:21 PM   #6
steve-s

Be wary with the many myths you will hear concerning Xenia and in fact you'll probabley hear a few more after this post.

Higher alk and added iodine will by no means improve or aid in the keeping of Xenia in any way. It is just as likely to thrive at NSW alkalinity levels and no iodine additions.

Your Ca is fine although your alk IME, is a tad high. I would personally let that drop below 3 mEq/l and maintain the Ca in the 410-420 ppm range. There is absolutley no benefit to having higher than NSW levels in terms of coral care. More often it does more damage than good.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-13-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Excellent! Thanks. I have READ volumes on the idea that the cause of Xenia "meltdown" was low pH and/or "low" alkalinity.

Livestock I added:

Old 03-14-2005, 11:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why add the iodine? IMO you can do more harm then good if you add too much, and having noting in the tank its not needed.
I have never even tested for iodine in my reef and every thing is fine and you will find most members of the club don't use any iodine replacement either. Doing regular water changes is going to be enough.
Keeping Cal and alk in the correct levels is enough for starters, if you get into stonies then you look ito other additives. JMO2
If I come to the meeting do you want a Kenya tree coral? I have about 50+ of them in my tank... About 2-3" tall, it maybe unmounted so you can stick it in a hole in your lr...

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:13 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Seaham .. I will be there, dark beer in hand. I'll take it! Thanks a lot.

YES YES YES

Livestock I added:

Old 03-14-2005, 11:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

BTW, with respeect to all of my questions about additive, I've been reading the wetwebmedia froum written by Bob Fenner, and over there all they talk about is pH, alk, and iodine.

They attribute cessation of pulsing to pH below 8.3, and meltdown below 8.0, with alk and iodine being contributing factors.

Livestock I added:

Tags
algae, coral, coralline

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com