Coralline headache

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wanted to make sure that this sounds normal to everyone. I have rampant green coralline algae growth in my tank. I have to razor my front and side panels at least once a week because it crusts on there so fast. Sound pretty regular?

think it might be time to change out some bulbs??? when the bulbs get weak it will boost the growth of some algae ?!?!

Well thats good to know. Its not really that bothersome except in the corners where I dare not use a razor on the silicone. I just wanted to be sure. Thanks again!

I got the same problem with fresh bulbs.. I noticed a HUGE increase in growth when I started adding calcium supps.. on the bright side, my base rock is almost totally covered too ;-)

What is the difference between coralline algae growth and just green algae? I ask because I just added 200w pc lighting to my 3 mo. old 45g fowl, and been scraping a very hard almost crystaline green algae since...much more work than the old brown algae blooms.

Coraline is a calcerous algae and does not encrach or compete for space with your corals.

Coaline is desiable only because of the above, and the fact that nusciance algaes tend not to grow on healthy coraline algae. I think this is more because if the conditions are right for good coraline growth, they are not good for the est algaes. Otherwise coraline is a pita. It's pretty, but you get over that when you gotta scrape it off your glass every 4 days to see into the tank, or take pictures.

Back
Top Bottom