Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-27-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is it possible that one type of coral may do better in your tank than another. I have several soft corals; Leather, Polyps and a few others that are doing great in my tank. I bought a Candy Coral and a Bubble coral thinking they would do good too. When they were at the LFS, they were opened up and pretty. The LFS only had a standard hood on their tank and I have a power compact on mine. They won't open up and look lifeless. I have moved them around to give different lighting and water flow, but still the same. I think I am going to take them back this weekend and get a store credit or something.

75 gal SW tank, Eheim 2215 Filter, 45lb Figi Premium LR, 2 Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pump Model 900

5 Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crabs, 5 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, 3 Emerald Mithrax Crabs, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Fire Shrimp, 10 Cerith Snails, 10 Nassarius Snails, 6 Bumble Bee Snails, 16 Turbo Snails, 1 Brittle Sea Star

Yellow-tailed Blue Damsel, Foxface Lo, Coral Beauty Angelfish, Sailfin Tang, Scooter Blenny
AirRazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
What are your water parameters? Check calcium and alkalinity too.
What is the total wattage lighting on your tank?
Do you have a protein skimmer?

There are easy coral, advanced coral and difficult coral. Depending on the system, one coral will do great where another won't do well at all. They differ just as fish do.

We, as a people, know so much more about outer space than we do about our own oceans. This lack of knowledge can very well spell the dangers that lay in wait for us.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Some Corals take time to adjust. Candy Cane's and Bubble's are moderate light Corals. If your LFS had them under low light they may need additional time to get used to yours. Place them low in the tank and move them higher if desired a little every week or so. How much light do you have on your 75g?
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to ram6519
I got my Candy Cane 3 weeks ago. This week it has started turning a nice light blue (from a brown) and small 1/4 in tentacles have appeared. I also have Compact PC's. I have mine located high in the tank.
ram6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Quit moving it around and let it get acclimated. Give it some time. I used to do the same thing with corals - keep moving new corals around because they weren't thriving right away.

My Toadstool Leather looked like crap for about 3 weeks in a new spot and only 3 days ago opened up and looks great.
We'll be fighting in the streets with our children at our feet, and the morals that they worshipped will be gone.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com